Tara's Reviews > South of the Border, West of the Sun

South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami

Sep 27, 2011

bookshelves: to-read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read South of the Border, West of the Sun.

Quotes Tara Liked

Haruki Murakami
“For a while" is a phrase whose length can't be measured.At least by the person who's waiting.”

Haruki Murakami
“Sometimes when I look at you, I feel I'm gazing at a distant star.
It's dazzling, but the light is from tens of thousands of years ago.
Maybe the star doesn't even exist any more. Yet sometimes that light seems more real to me than anything.”

Haruki Murakami
“I think you still love me, but we can’t escape the fact that I’m not enough for you. I knew this was going to happen. So I’m not blaming you for falling in love with another woman. I’m not angry, either. I should be, but I’m not. I just feel pain. A lot of pain. I thought I could imagine how much this would hurt, but I was wrong.”

Haruki Murakami
“Once thing goes wrong, then the whole house of cards collapses. And there's no way you can extricate yourself. Until someone comes along to drag you out.”

Haruki Murakami
“The sad truth is that certain types of things can't go backward. Once they start going forward, no matter what you do, they can't go back the way they were. If even one little thing goes awry, then that's how it will stay forever.”

Haruki Murakami
“But you know Hajime, some feelings cause us pain because they remain.”

Haruki Murakami
“Another person's life is that person's life. You can't take responsibility.”

Haruki Murakami
“I would never see her again, except in memory. She was here, and now she's gone. There is no middle ground. Probably is a word that you may find south of the border. But never, ever west of the sun.”