Ashley Moore's Reviews > My People

My People by Langston Hughes

U 50x66

"My People" brings the poem of Langston Hughes to life through the remarkable photography of Charles R. Smith Jr. My People was a 2010 recipient of the Coretta Scott King Award. The book has a dark color scheme and features sepia photographs of African-Americans with black backgrounds. Each person in the photo wears all black, so the only things that stand out are their skin and facial features. Most images are close-up headshots that draw attention to the eyes of the individuals. The photos and story as a whole is focused on the natural beauty of black people, and I noticed that no one in the photos appeared to be wearing makeup. I think that Smith’s photography complements Hughes’ words perfectly as they extend Hughes’ purpose to embrace and create a sense of pride within the black community. The end pages feature paneled images of the participants smiling and these panels can also be found in smaller size partially bordering pages throughout the book. Photography is the only medium used throughout the book and all pages except for the last two, feature single-page images. I think that My People is a very good book to have in any classroom. I think that it would add diversity to children’s literature and add to a collection of materials that is racially-ethnically representative. As we have discussed in INSC330 before, it is important to provide a variety of materials that are representative of young children. I think that this book definitely would foster higher self-esteem for young black children, as it would show them positive images of people that look like them and tells them that they are beautiful just the way they are.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My People.

Finished Reading