Robin (Bridge Four)'s Reviews > Good Omens

Good Omens by Terry Pratchett

bookshelves: 2018-reads, 4-5-stars, bb-b-2018, awesome-audio, buddy-read

“It has been said that civilization is twenty-four hours and two meals away from barbarism.”

This was quirky and a little on the odd side but totally fun. Heaven and Hell have basically been in a cold war for well forever it seems. Ever since Lucifer “An Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards.” became the bad guy the final show down has been in the works. But now, finally Satan’s son has been born and the prophecies all say that when he is Eleven the end of the world will finally come about.

The humor in this is really incredibly fun and I loved Aziraphale, the Angel who wasn’t necessarily all good, and Crowley the demon who really wasn’t that bad of a guy. Even more I enjoyed the friendship between them and how they worked both together and against each other.
“Hell wasn't a major reservoir of evil, any more then Heaven, in Crowley's opinion, was a fountain of goodness; they were just sides in the great cosmic chess game. Where you found the real McCoy, the real grace and the real heart-stopping evil, was right inside the human mind.”

This had an extensive cast that included the four horsemen (one was a woman) of the apocalypse, a witch or two, some Satanists (they weren’t really bad people), a gang of kids, a witchhunter and a dog.

There are a ton of funny little snippets here and there and I really enjoyed the cut and paste together style that had the reader jumping from group of characters to groups of characters as we go through the countdown to the final days.

This is supposed to be a tv series soon and it will be interesting to see how that goes. I think it will be a good time and lets face it at the end of the world you might as well have a good time.

Perfect for when you just want a good laugh and some ridiculousness in your life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Omens.

October 20, 2017 – Shelved
February 6, 2018 – Shelved as: bb-b-2018
February 6, 2018 – Shelved as: awesome-audio
February 6, 2018 – Shelved as: buddy-read
February 6, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Skylar Phelps Every time I hear Bohemian rhapsody I cant help but crack a smile and think of poor Crowley. Great review Robin, Love this book

Robin (Bridge Four) Skylar wrote: "Every time I hear Bohemian rhapsody I cant help but crack a smile and think of poor Crowley. Great review Robin, Love this book"

haha....so fitting.