Trice's Reviews > The Last Unicorn

Recommended to Trice by: watching the film in 6th grade
Read from September 27 to October 15, 2011 — I own a copy

I have no words.

_____________________________
prior to reading/listening, I had commented:
I remember seeing the movie The Last Unicorn in 4th or 5th grade right before the holidays - still have some of the images and senses of it in my head. I regret, though, that I haven't read it yet! One of those achingly sad/sweet stories that I won't forget.
Dec 17, 2009 07:58pm
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Unicorn.

Quotes Trice Liked

Peter S. Beagle
“Great heroes need great sorrows and burdens, or half their greatness goes unnoticed. It is all part of the fairy tale.”

Peter S. Beagle
“It’s a rare man who is taken for what he truly is.”

Peter S. Beagle
“The true secret in being a hero lies in knowing the order of things. The swineherd cannot already be wed to the princess when he embarks on his adventures, nor can the boy knock on the witch's door when she is already away on vacation. The wicked uncle cannot be found out and foiled before he does something wicked. Things must happen when it is time for them to happen. Quests may not simply be abandoned; prophecies may not be left to rot like unpicked fruit; unicorns may go unrescued for a very long time, but not forever. The happy ending cannot come in the middle of the story.”

Peter S. Beagle
“We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream.”

Peter S. Beagle
“The magician stood erect, menacing the attackers with demons, metamorphoses, paralyzing ailments, and secret judo holds. Molly picked up a rock.”

Peter S. Beagle
“You were the one who taught me," he said. "I never looked at you without seeing the sweetness of the way the world goes together, or without sorrow for its spoiling. I became a hero to serve you, and all that is like you.”

Peter S. Beagle
“The most professional curse ever snarled or croaked or thundered can have no effect on a pure heart.”