Ivonne Rovira's Reviews > A Matter of Loyalty

A Matter of Loyalty by Anselm Audley

Recommended for: everyone!

In the third novel — and, sadly, last — in the series featuring spy Hugo Hawksworth and his family and friends, an atomic physicist has disappeared from near their village of Selchester. A brash zealot from Special Branch has come down from London to look into the disappearance, convinced that Dr. Bruno Rothesay has defected to the Soviet Union and that the local intelligence agents are at fault. The arrogant Inspector Jarrett (the allusion to Javert is all too obvious) will cause plenty of upset before Hugo, with the aid of his free-spirited friend Freya Wryton, settles the matter.

Author Elizabeth Edmondson died in 2016 before she had finished the novel, and I was dubious whether her son, Anselm Audley, would be up to the task. (His usual oeuvre is sci-fi fantasy novels.) But Audley did his mother proud in his handling of the series that debuted with
A Man of Some Repute. A Matter of Loyalty was as suspenseful and intriguing as the books that Edmondson wrote all by herself. I loved every single minute!

But Audley’s triumph proves bittersweet: He says there won’t be any further adventures for Hugo and Freya and Georgia and their delightful family and friends.

This will be the last Selchester book, and the last book of her career…. I knew enough of this one to write almost the book she intended, but I can’t do justice to the remaining books in the series. They should exist as her creations, or not at all.

So there you have it. A worthy end to a marvelous series. Thank you, Mr. Audley, for this final gift from your mother.

In the interest of full disclosure, I received this book from NetGalley and Thomas & Mercer in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Matter of Loyalty.

October 19, 2017 – Shelved
October 19, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
October 20, 2017 – Started Reading
October 22, 2017 –
October 23, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Ivonne Rovira With Elizabeth Edmondson dead, I'm pretty worried that the son, who's finishing the book his mother started, might not be up to the task. His own books are sci-fi.