Zumbagirl's Reviews > The Rake

The Rake by Mary Jo Putney

I'm glad I finally gave MJP a chance, always heard good things about this book and it was excellent. Seemed a little on the long side and took me a while to finish. I'd given up on angst and stress in my reading for April, but decided to try something a little more heavy - this was - and did well.

The hero, Reginald Davenport or Reggie, has a serious drinking problem. He realizes it but is not sure what to do. This may seem like a very negative thing, as it is, but somehow the way the author wrote it, it wasn't as depressing as I thought it would be. Reggie really was a nice person and very fair-minded, especially when he learns that his steward is a woman - Alys Weston. Now, Alys has some secrets. She's 30 years old, very tall, has two different colored eyes, dimples, beautiful hair - but she considers herself a spinster with no prospects. But she's taking care of three wards - Merry, Peter and William. I loved the relationship and friendship she had with them. There was also a secondary love story for Merry, which was great.

The romance in this book was slow but steady. Reggie and Alys became friends, had mutual respect for each other, enjoyed spending time together and communicated very well. They both had something the other needed and filled the voids. They made a wonderful couple. I also appreciated how Reggie dealt with Alys' secret and helped to resolve it.

This was a thoroughly satisfying and moving story. I highly recommend it to all lovers of historical romance who want a meatier story than most HR out there.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rake.

September 27, 2011 – Shelved
April 27, 2012 – Started Reading
April 30, 2012 –
0.0% "This is great - woke up early to get some reading in before work!"
May 3, 2012 – Finished Reading
May 4, 2012 – Shelved as: strong-secondary-characters
May 4, 2012 – Shelved as: two-love-stories
May 4, 2012 – Shelved as: substance-abuse-issues
May 8, 2012 – Shelved as: hidden-identity

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Probably my favourite MJP. Look forward to your review, Zumbagirl.

Zumbagirl i really liked it. She writes beautifully but a little wordy. so many quotes

Danette Steward So glad you liked it!!