Kristin 's Reviews > Haven

Haven by Mary Lindsey

bookshelves: favorites, ya, paranormal-romance, thriller

Haven is an amazing story that sort of reminded me of Twilight at the beginning. Rain is sent to live with his estranged aunt when his mother passes away. He's sent to this small rural town where he realizes that something isn't quite right. At his new school he notices that there is this one group of students who seem to be separated from the rest of the class. Something isn't right with them. Regardless, he finds himself captivated by one of them and pretty soon is immersed in their world. A world that is filled with magic and things that go bump in the night. Don't worry though, no one sparkles in this novel.

Haven was a book that I was aware of but didn't have any idea what it was about. So, I was really excited when I received a surprise box in the mail from the publisher with a copy of Haven inside. I immediately put down the book I was reading (I was only a chapter in anyways) and started reading Haven. I almost finished it in one sitting, too. The story the author created definitely has a way of pulling you in. There's so much mystery behind it because you have no idea what's going on. Why does Rain keep finding this girl naked and hiding from her cousins. Why is everyone acting so weird around him. And why is the local police officer giving him cryptic messages to stay away. So many things don't add up, except for the fact that you know that something isn't quite right and it all centers around the girl.

The fact that Rain had been living on the streets with him mother since birth gives him this edge. He's not afraid to stand his ground and fight. He's able to piece together things that he sees when it comes to his classmates and Freddie. He always managed to keep his cool even when everything took a nose dive into crazy territory. Where most people would have lost their minds and probably ended up dead or in a psych ward, Rain looked at it with a calculating gaze. I also liked that he was loyal to the core and would die for those he loved. So, when his aunt and Freddie are threatened, he takes it upon himself to rise up to the challenge. He didn't back down, he didn't cower, and he didn't turn tail and run. Rain may be one of my favorite characters.

I couldn't seem to put Haven down. It had mystery, thriller, romance, and fantasy. Basically, it was exactly what I was looking for in an October pre-halloween read. I'm not a huge fan of mystery, thriller, horror, or any other book you'd initially think of when you think of Hallween reads. However, this was so well balanced with my love of fantasy and romance that the "who done it" portions didn't bore me. I was so invested in what was really going on and who the crazy person was, as well as trying to figure out what Freddie was, that I just wanted to be left alone so that I would read it to the end. I'm so glad and appreciative that the publisher sent me a copy of this book because I would have missed out on an amazing story otherwise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haven.

October 19, 2017 – Started Reading