Viv JM's Reviews > Why We Sleep: The New Science of Sleep and Dreams

Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker

bookshelves: z2018-author-male, author-male, health-and-fitness, non-fiction, read-in-2018

Squeezed by the vise grips of an electrified night and early-morning start times, bereft of twenty-four-hour thermal cycles, and with caffeine and alcohol surging through us in various quantities, many of us feel rightly exhausted and crave that which seems always elusive: a full, restful night of natural deep sleep.

This book is a fascinating look at the purpose and benefits of sleep, including the importance of different stages in the sleep cycle. The author describes the myriad of physical and mental health problems that can be caused by a lack of sleep, as well as the ways in which our modern lives contribute to a society wide sleep deficit.

The scientific content is well explained and injected with occasional humour, making this a very readable book. I have always been aware of the importance of sleep to my own personal wellbeing but this book backs up my intuitive sense of this with sound scientific reasoning and I will certainly continue to carefully guard my sleep opportunities!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Sleep.

October 19, 2017 – Shelved