Tammy's Reviews > I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer

I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
50603889
's review

liked it

This one didn’t quite do it for me. I found the story interesting because I knew absolutely nothing about this killer that got away (not a spoiler). The development of the methodologies to apprehend criminals was fascinating and many of the terms are commonplace today. It’s an uneven book and I found myself mentally re-writing sentences for clarity. The messy sentences (in places) may be the result of piecing together a book from the deceased author’s notes and trying to retain her voice. It’s worth reading if you are a fan of true crime.
161 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Be Gone in the Dark.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

October 19, 2017 – Started Reading
October 19, 2017 – Shelved
October 20, 2017 –
page 193
54.83%
October 22, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new) - rated it 1 star

Dan You are correct it sucked. At 3 stars you are being generous.


message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Winter I was disappointed, too. I like true crime books where you get a feeling for the victims, especially, and...no.


Tammy Lisa wrote: "I was disappointed, too. I like true crime books where you get a feeling for the victims, especially, and...no."

I agree, Lisa.


Niko05 same here Tammy.. I felt utterly disengaged throughot. very uneven to say the least


Tammy Niko05 wrote: "same here Tammy.. I felt utterly disengaged throughot. very uneven to say the least"

I’m glad I’m not alone, Niko!


message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 1 star

Dan Glad I’m not alone here either. Honestly it’s nice her husband finished it. But God that was painful and 15 bucks?


Tammy Dan wrote: "Glad I’m not alone here either. Honestly it’s nice her husband finished it. But God that was painful and 15 bucks?"

It was an unfortunate read, Dan!


Magen Stevenson Thank goodness. Everyone raved about the "beautiful storytelling" and yet I had to reread lines and sometimes hole sections because it didn't make sense. It lacked a flow. There is a lot of information and a lot of ends to tie together and other writers having to piece together all of Michelle's work, it feels unfair to tie the lack of polish on the final product on Michelle. I applaud Michelle, but I just can't in good faith tell someone it is beautiful writing or storytelling.


Tammy Magen wrote: "Thank goodness. Everyone raved about the "beautiful storytelling" and yet I had to reread lines and sometimes hole sections because it didn't make sense. It lacked a flow. There is a lot of informa..."

HBO has green lighted a docuseries. That should work


message 10: by Dan (new) - rated it 1 star

Dan Beautiful storytelling? Really? I hadn’t read that in the reviews. Tbh, her storytelling sucked. I’m continued to be amazed at how people still try and defend this piece of garbage. I’m *really* embittered by the 15 bucks I wasted.


Tammy Dan wrote: "Beautiful storytelling? Really? I hadn’t read that in the reviews. Tbh, her storytelling sucked. I’m continued to be amazed at how people still try and defend this piece of garbage. I’m *really* em..."

I can tell. I Really think that it’s a mess because they tried to piece together a book from her notes. It may have been something else entirely had she lived to write it


message 12: by Susan (new) - rated it 1 star

Susan Schuler I agree. I am still in the middle and don't know if I will continue.


Tammy Susan wrote: "I agree. I am still in the middle and don't know if I will continue."

Perfectly understandable, Susan


message 14: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I completely agree with our review - I was really surprised by all the 5* reviews as although it is an interesting topic I founded it really hard to make sense especially the first part. It was to hard to follow in some parts and needed a clearer structure especially given the volume of crimes that it is covering. I understand it must be hard to piece together a half written book by someone who is no longer around to give clarity about what her notes mean or where the book was going but it didn’t feel finished.
It wasn’t the worse true crime book I’ve read but definitely not the best!


Tammy Amy wrote: "I completely agree with our review - I was really surprised by all the 5* reviews as although it is an interesting topic I founded it really hard to make sense especially the first part. It was to ..."

The high ratings surprised me too, Amy


message 16: by Cheri (new)

Cheri When the news broke that they had found and arrested the Golden State Killer, this book was talked about quite a bit, from what the newscasters said, the contents of the book were responsible, at least in "large" part, for revealing what they had overlooked. At least something good came out of it. Sorry this wasn't a better read for you, but I appreciated you sharing what didn't work for you. Really nice review, Tammy.


Tammy Yes, I saw the reports. I think MacNamara would have been thrilled by the outcome. Thanks, Cheri!


message 18: by J.N. (new) - rated it 3 stars

J.N. Agree, I think it's because she didn't get to finish and other people had to put it together. It's a shame she died before finishing and seeing them finally find someone to stand trial for all of this!


message 19: by Dan (new) - rated it 1 star

Dan 5 Stars? I give it 5 💩s!


Tammy J.N. wrote: "Agree, I think it's because she didn't get to finish and other people had to put it together. It's a shame she died before finishing and seeing them finally find someone to stand trial for all of t..."

It really is unfortunate, J.N. I think this would have been a better book had she lived.


Tammy Dan wrote: "5 Stars? I give it 5 💩s!"

You are making me laugh, Dan. 😊 Everyone has read a book they abhor.


Cheryl I agree☝️


Pssantry I am glad I'm not the only one that had to re-read sentences and paragraphs to try to get them to make sense. I was worried it was just me.


Joshua Feel much better reading many of these comments and your review! I’m still reading through it (plan on finishing) but the way it jumps around and seems jumbled really interrupts my flow. I was beginning to think I was just terrible at reading, but now feel secure again!


message 25: by Alex (new) - added it

Alex A good editor should have helped with the flow of the book. What has happened to modern book editors; do they exist?


Tammy Pssantry wrote: "I am glad I'm not the only one that had to re-read sentences and paragraphs to try to get them to make sense. I was worried it was just me."

Not in the least, Pssantry. I’m flabbergasted by the glowing reviews


Tammy Alex wrote: "A good editor should have helped with the flow of the book. What has happened to modern book editors; do they exist?"

Some are better than others. It’s difficult to piece together a book from notes but this is a mess


Tammy Joshua wrote: "Feel much better reading many of these comments and your review! I’m still reading through it (plan on finishing) but the way it jumps around and seems jumbled really interrupts my flow. I was begi..."

It’s not you, Joshua!


Simone Retro I agree. I was utterly confused by this book because there was no storyline. I thought it was about finding a killer but the rush of a painstaking search was not there. I gave up and stopped reading.


Tammy Simone Retro wrote: "I agree. I was utterly confused by this book because there was no storyline. I thought it was about finding a killer but the rush of a painstaking search was not there. I gave up and stopped reading."

Yes. It is quite a mess, Simone


Buffi Young Completely agree. I didn’t finish it. The editor obviously either wasn’t very good or possibly was too distraught at the author’s death to make it cohesive and sensible.


Tammy Buffi wrote: "Completely agree. I didn’t finish it. The editor obviously either wasn’t very good or possibly was too distraught at the author’s death to make it cohesive and sensible."

It hit all of the bestseller lists after the killer was found so it is a commercial success. I understand why you didn’t finish it. In my opinion, it didn’t get any better


Nancy Dueñas I am SO glad I am not the only one who felt this way! This book is so confusing! I’m only half way through and wondering if it’s worth it to finish!


Tammy Nancy wrote: "I am SO glad I am not the only one who felt this way! This book is so confusing! I’m only half way through and wondering if it’s worth it to finish!"

I wish I hadn’t spent the time finishing it, Nancy


back to top