Michael's Reviews > Anger is an Energy: My Life Uncensored

Anger is an Energy by John Lydon

bookshelves: biography, e-books

I would have to say that I'm more of a fan of Lydon than I am of the Pistols or PiL. Here's a man who tells it like it is, and doesn't give a damn who offends. That's what I've loved about him. You ask the man a question, you got an honest answer, and if he didn't like the questions he'd tell you. I've noticed over the years that Lydon's mellowed a bit in his old age. The interviews are interesting, but still hold the same amount of honesty we've come to expect. I read No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs, and wasn't all that impressed. The inside of the story of the Pistols was finally revealed, but it wasn't I was expecting.

Enter My Life Uncensored, and I knew at some point I would read it, but what I didn't want to read was another celebrity bio that fills in the gaps with stuff we already know. There isn't much insight into the person, just a rehashing of various facts. Lydon's book is a bit disjointed at times, but let's be honest, this is the way John wanted the story told. The ghost writer doesn't try and rein in him, or even keep him focused so the narrative sometimes goes all over the place. If it had been told any other way, it wouldn't feel like John's story at all, and just another product being shoved down our throats.

What struck me was just how nice he is. Not all what I expected, but that's the thing about celebrity and even the media. Hell, John himself is just as much to blame for his public persona as the media is. At times he's still rude, and abrasive, but that's just who is. There's an honesty that runs throughout the book, and he tells the story his way. He holds nothing back. Surprisingly, Lydon comes off as a nice guy, someone you'd want to have a talk with at a pub. It's a bit weird, but you get used to it.

Lydon's story is never boring, and he even justifies the moments fan would say he sold out. He did do television, but didn't dilute himself to achieve it. While most people would find this boring, or just a way for Lydon to gain more fans, it's a little more than that. This is the story of a man who never sold himself out to gain success, and relished in the fact that he's more infamous than famous. It's an interesting book that fans will appreciate, but non fans will turn their noses up at it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anger is an Energy.

October 18, 2017 – Started Reading