Heather's Reviews > Claimed

Claimed by Evangeline Anderson

Sep 26, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: alpha-hero, annoying-heroine, erotica, pnr, scifi, stupid

*DISCLAIMER* This review has run-on sentences and is way too long. Also it's strictly my opinion, and I in no way mean to be disrespectful to the author or anyone who disagrees.

I went into this "sci-fi-rotica" with low expectations. In a way, I was pleasantly surprised, as Evangeline Anderson is actually quite good at writing sex scenes and foreplay. And because that was a large part of why I bought the book, I actually enjoyed it a fair amount. The dirty talk was hot and I enjoyed the sex for the most part. I also think she occasionally has good creative ideas (like the genetic trading thing) that could be expanded on a lot further. Even the idea of the Kindred and Scourge if they were re-written or re-imagined to be just slightly more believable, could be awesome That said...

The one part of the story that bothered me the most was actually the premise. For some reason, I just couldn't get passed it. I mean, the main heroine is essentially ordered for thirty days to be wooed by a massive musclebound Kindred "warrior" (on to that later, lol) and if she gives in, they have passionate bonding sex, they are then essentially married and the bride has to leave behind her entire life on Earth. This is the price paid by the chosen women of Earth, for being saved from the Scourge, another race of aliens with Kindred blood...they are genetic traders, after all.

Naturally, our heroine Olivia, is quite reluctant to relinquish all she knows and loves, in spite of the promises of sexual fulfillment and life of love and pampering from a monstrous dude she hardly knows. This premise is what creates the long and drawn-out conflict in the story, between her and Baird (the hero). Olivia hence forth becomes almost unbearably irritating. She's intensely attracted to our hottie hero Baird yet constantly feigns resistance, fearing never to see her twin sister Sophia again (who is the main character in the second book btw). In a way, I can't blame her. Baird is portrayed as absurdly possessive, as he is a Beast Kindred and as such thinks women are pets to be loved, cared for, and given a good rogering now and...now. But after the millionth "Mine...she's mine" (growled softly of course) it just gets kind of tiresome. Baird is also goodhearted, in spite of his innate badassness and never tries to force himself on his new bride. Supposedly he fell in love with Olivia before even meeting her, through their dream sharing. Why that is though, I can't say, as Olivia reveals herself to have few redeeming qualities. She bitches, she moans, she makes "humorous" social faux pas on alien planets, but she rarely if ever does anything deserving of the praise and admiration Baird gives her. Common sense would tell most of us that she is undeserving of such devotion, and that's another problem I have with this story. The heroine does not deserve the hero. Not even remotely. And the fact that the hero wants to love and possess the heroine foreverrrr and everrr inspite of this, makes me dislike him as well. I just had a hard time respecting Baird because his feelings were just too unbelievable. Also, the whole mating fist thing=ICKY! Yuck yuck yuck Evangeline. Please don't.

I personally, also find the "Gentle/Loving Warrior" archetype really lame. A massive killer warrior that's maimed, destroyed and done awful things to other living beings isn't going to be unconditionally devoted to a whiny b*tch when there are plenty of other women in the universe. Sorry. Totally unable to suspend my disbelief on that one.

Three stars for the sex, otherwise I'd give it two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claimed.