Day James's Reviews > Three Kingdoms: Classic Novel in Four Volumes

Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong

Jun 20, 2007

Recommended for: Chinese History Buffs
Read in February, 2005

The only thing keeping me from giving this book a fifth star has nothing to do with the story itself or Luo Guanzhong's writing style. It has everything to do with this particular version/translation of the book, by Moss Roberts. I have only two negative things to say about Three Kingdoms, and one of them is that the Moss Roberts translation is absolutely riddled with typographical and grammatical errors. From what I've heard, though, it is still the best translation out there so I wouldn't recommend any other.

My second qualm with the book is the poetry. Personally, I'm not a big fan of poetry and so when I come across it in Three Kingdoms (and I do... a lot) I tend to skip over it. It's very excessive, but that may just be the ancient Chinese style. I don't know, so I didn't base my review off of that.

The story, however, is absolutely incredible. I understand there are many discrepancies as far as accuracy goes, but reading about all the major characters (of which there are many) had me rooting for the good guys and jeering at the bad guys. Each individual character has his or own detailed storyline, and each is easy to follow. Luo Guanzhong is an amazing storyteller and I have read through all four of the Three Kingdoms books multiple times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Kingdoms.