Anne - Books of My Heart's Reviews > Wild Hunger

Wild Hunger by Chloe Neill

bookshelves: 2018, netgalley-publisher-author, newrelease, coyer

This review was originally posted on Books of My Heart

Review copy was received from NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

The Heirs of Chicagoland series is here!   I am not sure I had any specific expectation. It was comfortable to be back in world of Chicagoland Vampires .  The setting is 20-odd years later. Elisa is the voice and our view to the world now.  I think you could read this without reading the other series. I'm OCD so I wouldn't but the mentions of well-known characters are brief. A few jokes might go over your head as they are idiosyncrasies of those characters but the story itself is not affected, just the level of humor you might find here.

Elisa is young, a new adult, learning her life and place in the world. So is Connor Keene. We don't get as much insight into Connor though. Wild Hunger is more of an adventure than a romance, which is typical in an urban fantasy series. There's a good groundwork here for the future in this world. The characters like Lulu Bell, Miranda, Tanya, Riley Sixkiller and more are presented with more development hopefully to follow.

It was a bit odd to have Elisa involved in the investigation as Merit would have done in the past. The Ombudsman office has changed, although Chuck is alive but retired, we meet some of the new players. I'm not sure of them yet. So Elisa doesn't have the familial connection plus Cadogan House agreed to stay out of investigations. She's also been away at school and doesn't know the players so it's odd she was included so rapidly.

It's a fun tale with quick updates on old friends and introductions of the new gang forming.  I'll be looking forward to what is next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Hunger.

October 18, 2017 – Shelved