Reader's Reviews > Mr Warren's Profession

Mr Warren's Profession by Sebastian Nothwell

U 50x66

bookshelves: gay-historical

Aubrey, a former telegraph boy from the Cleveland Street story became a clerk in a cotton mill. He's smart, kind, very good at his job and then some, and he's ambitious. Then the poor '(un)lucky?' man met aristocrat Lindsey and his snooty (including at least one homicidal) friends and for good or ill his life literally was never the same again.

Lindsey was only about 4 years old when his father seemed to have known Lindsey was an 'invert'. That propelled the old gentleman to protect Lindsey, in the most weird way, from his desires by not letting the lad run loose around temptations. This include entlisting Lindsey's friends and sister to form a 'fence' around the boy. Of course this did not help in Lindsey developing the greatest strength of character which only foster a pretty false sense of security and some ignorance of the world around him.

Yet, Lindsey found love and well, didn't that just change things. Not only did Lindsey found his voice, he stood up to wolves in sheep clothing as best he could.

I must thank Mr. Nothwell for limiting and not prolonging the 'secrets from each other' bit which I find to be one of the most annoying thing about reading.

So far, this is the second MM story I read with Cleveland Street story reference. I wish there were more. Fellow readers, if you do know of others, do let me know.

EDIT:
I just had to edit this review to change the rating from 4 to 5 stars. The extra star is for the cover. Looking at it again, I had to admit that it's not often one sees a cover that so clearly reflects the story in the book and an actual scene no less. While I giggle at Lindsey's hat and nose, I really love this cover.
Good for you Mr. Nothwell!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr Warren's Profession.

October 13, 2017 – Started Reading