Lisa's Reviews > Diagnostic Classification of Mental Health and Developmental Disorders of Infancy and Early Childhood, Revised

Diagnostic Classification of Mental Health and Developmental ... by Zero to Three

May 04, 2008

bookshelves: professional-reference
Recommended to Lisa by: probably Winx Lawrence
Recommended for: mental health professionals who work with any age child
Read in January, 2002

This manual has two really critical things going for it: 1) It recognizes that mental health in very young children is still dynamic, and that young children haven't differentiated enough yet to have a zillion categories. The Axis I options are simple and broad. 2) It recognizes that in very young children, the family is part of the disorder and the disorder is part of the family.

It's still got a categorical focus that is probably unavoidable in a diagnostic system, which is my one big complaint. Kids aren't categorical, they exist on a spectrum.

But ultimately, I'd love a diagnostic system for kids 3-12 that looks more like this and less like the DSM.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Diagnostic Classification of Mental Health and Developmental Disorders of Infancy and Early Childhood, Revised.