Toneeshia's Reviews > Madeline

Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans

Sep 26, 2011

Read on September 25, 2011

Madeline is a picture book with the primary age group as the intended reader. I listened to the audiobook as well as read the ebook. It has won the Caldecott Honor Book award. The book is about a girl named Madeline who lives in a boarding school in France and is fearless. She awoke one night in pain and the doctor came over and told Madeline she needed to get her appendix removed. I gave the Madeline four stars because the plot appeared a little lack luster and the illustrations. There is little excitement within the plot. The illustrations lack a multitude of color, most of the illustrations are done in outlined style art consisting of yellow, white, and black. In between those pages of yellow, black, and white are pages of full color and with greater detail. The illustrations on those pages also contain a combination of the outline and naive styles. Other than the previously mentioned I found it to be interesting in an age appropriate manner. The violin playing in the background takes some getting used to but fits into the story nicely. In a primary aged classroom I would go around the classroom and have the children tell about a time they got hurt or been ill and then tell about a time they faked sick and why. I would also have the children create get well cards for Madeline. It appears Madeline is a magnet for young female readers, I'm not sure if it is that the character Madeline possesses courage or her popularity amongst the other girls. It could also be the rhyme used in the story or the calm voice and dialect of the narrator. I think the audiobook would be more appealing because it contains more detail without changing the story line.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Madeline.