Lucy Morgan's Reviews > Falling Under

Falling Under by Danielle Younge-Ullman

Sometimes, I read a book and want to run off and kidnap the writer. They put these things down in words, so they must understand, so they must be like me. And either that means we are few, and are special, and should stick together...or it means there are many of us, and we should pitch our flagpoles while we can. Build a village.

But that sounds a bit creepy :P and I'm not going to kidnap anyone. But this is a touching, implosive and provocative book. Younge-Ullman knows how to write about longing, physicality and what it means to be in pain. She does it with humour and hope, too. This could have been an utterly miserable book, and could have left me wondering what I was meant to do with it, long after I'd finished reading--as similar stories have. But instead, it paid off the way sandpaper tends to: wears you away, leaves you a bit sore, but you find something new beneath when you're done. And it's shiny.

I have my own version of the ending. I think you ought to read it, and find yours.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Under.

September 26, 2011 – Shelved