Bea Charmed's Reviews > A Cold Dark Promise

A Cold Dark Promise by Toni Anderson

bookshelves: action-mystery-thriller, ebook, hospital-reads, kindle-books, romance, arc, beas-book-nook, read-in-2017

Alex, the groom, takes off a week before the wedding. On what will likely be a dangerous mission. A volunteer mission. I didn't know whether to kiss him or smack him. Seriously, he wanders off on a freelance job a week before the ceremony?! At least it was to help someone, to reunite a parent and child.

Not having the first few books in the series, I didn't fully get the animosity between Alex and Jane but I appreciated, despite the timing, that he helped her even though they didn't like each other and even though he was doing it for free. It wasn't a job, he was getting ready for his honeymoon, he could have said 'No'. But, with Mallory's blessing, he heads overseas to retrieve Jane's eight year-old daughter.

Of course, things don't go as planned and soon backup arrives to help with some serious matters, more than just a rescue job. And, though this is Alex and Mallory's wedding story, there's another romance in bloom and it was just lovely. I'm looking forward to seeing that one play out. There's a lot of baggage to be dealt with but I expect Anderson will handle it tactfully and realistically as she does everything.

The beginning and middle of the story are dark, tense, and exciting with moments of humor and romance. I was actually seriously worried that Alex might not get out this alive. At one point, actually at several points, I was cursing Anderson. She really had me doubting that Alex would live and that he'd make it to his wedding on time. Thank goodness for friends!

The end of the book was sweet, a little sappy, and funny. I laughed out loud at the scene with barney and Rex. I could just see it in my head. The story wrapped up some threads from earlier in the series and brought Alex and Mallory's relationship to a happy point. Anderson neatly managed suspense, romance, and humor in a tense, exciting and sweet package.

Some favorite quotes:

Click. For the first time on a mission Alex’s gun jammed.

"Turn up in rags and I'll marry you. Hell, turn up painted green and I won't blink."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Cold Dark Promise.

October 16, 2017 – Shelved