Ellen's Reviews > The Late Show

The Late Show by Michael Connelly

Oct 16, 2017

Read in October, 2017

** spoiler alert ** Michael Connelly is one of my favorites in the lawyering and detectiving arena because on top of the fast plotting his writing tends to be clean and his characters feel like, you know, characters. So, I was excited to learn that he's got a new female lead, though at points reading The Late Show I worried Connelly was going to let me down. Ballard has been put on a bad shift because of a sexual harassment suit she brought against her former higher up, and near the end of the novel it seems she might forget it for the sake of her career. Thank god, she doesn't. And of course, if you have a female lead she's got to at some point find herself naked, drugged, and tied up in someone's basement. That rankles a bit, and I hope Connelly doesn't go for other storylines in that vein in future books (though it is real satisfying to see Ballard escape and murder the guy who put her there). Overall a fun read and I'll pick up the next one and continue to keep my fingers cross that Connelly serves Renee Ballard well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Late Show.

10/16 marked as: read