Renae's Reviews > Sleepless in Manhattan

Sleepless in Manhattan by Sarah Morgan

4620632

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2017, genre-romance-contemporary, setting-usa-ny

Oh dear. Aside from a few chapters in the middle that were truly unputdownable, Sleepless in Manhattan was actually more of a snooze than anything else. Primarily, Sarah Morgan’s prose and storytelling are haphazard and graceless. Also, the bare bones of the plot itself were just...asinine. This book reads like it was written by someone without any particular talent, just stringing together paragraphs through bullheaded determination alone. Which is admirable, but messy to read.

Not even kidding, the entire conflict could have been wrapped up in a few pages if only all of the characters had sat down for a 30 minute conversation about their feelings. (Which is amusing, since there was a lot of sitting around and talking in this book, just all of the talk was pointless.)

Don’t believe me? Here’s what up.

Paige fell in love with Jake as a teenager. Jake reciprocated, but had promised Paige’s overprotective older brother to “stay away” from her. So he turns her down and she’s humiliated. Now everyone’s 30-ish. The only thing stopping Paige and Jake from being together is that Jake made that promise and Paige believes Jake’s rejection of her was genuine.

Mmmkay.

Pretending that we’re all grownups, this could be solved very quickly. I’ll demonstrate. Ready?
Jake: Hey, I lied when I said I wasn’t interested. I totes am, but I’m a Bad Person and your big bro made me promise to stay away.

Paige: Uh, not okay. How about everyone respects me and lets me decide for myself what is and is not good for me? Also, you should consider therapy for your Massive Childhood Trauma.

Jake: Cool.

The End

See? Super easy, right?

But oh no, Sarah Morgan had to take 400 pages of my valuable time to solve problems that shouldn’t have existed in the first place. I can’t. I just can’t.

I understand that the whole “forbidden” sibling of a best friend trope is not my thing in general, but it comes across as so ridiculous in this book especially. The reason Paige is off-limits to Jake is because he’s a Bad Boy who doesn’t believe in love. Because after his mother abandoned him when he was six he doesn’t believe that love is real. (Never mind that he’s had healthy parental relationships modeled in his life ever since then. This is Romancelandia and things never make sense.) That’s just...a really stupid, overblown obstacle that’s just tossed into the plot willy-nilly. It doesn’t even hold up under logical examination. None of this book does.

It’s all just so boring and tedious. For instance, literally nothing happens in the first 100 pages of Sleepless in Manhattan. Paige and her 2 best friends lose their jobs and they spend a long time talking about it. That’s all. The author does this thing where she starts a scene, then meanders around explaining a bunch of random shit that is only tangentially related, before she finally arrives back to the topic at hand. Any given scene is thusly expanded to two or three times its necessary length because of all the pointless crap.

For instance, I don’t need to know that complete backstories of Paige’s friends because they each have their own novel that’s just going to repeat all that information later. I also don’t need to be continually teased by the ~mysterious~ circumstances regarding some person named Matilda who doesn’t play any part in this story at all, except that she’s the protagonist of the series’ novella, Midnight at Tiffany's .

Now, I understand that this is a romance that offers more than a basic “hero + heroine + drama + sex = HEA” plot, but Morgan wanders around so much that by the time she actually focuses on anything (either big picture or in an individual scene), I’ve already forgotten what’s going on and why I should care. Nobody needs to read 40 pages of people talking about how sad it is they’ve lost their job. And a declaration of love should be a page, not an entire chapter. It’s ridiculous. Sleepless in Manhattan rambles, and it makes a huge production of every single detail, no matter how trivial. In real life, this story wouldn’t be worth 400 pages; I don’t see why it should merit that length in fiction either.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleepless in Manhattan.

October 16, 2017 – Shelved
October 16, 2017 – Shelved as: tbr-romance
November 22, 2017 – Started Reading
November 22, 2017 –
page 50
November 23, 2017 –
page 114
24.57% "So 100 pages in and...NOTHING has happened, romance-wise. It's just a lot of her being pathetic cuz she's been in love with him since high school and also her dealing with her job the whole time

100 pages for ONE AFTERNOON in which she gets fired. That's it."
November 24, 2017 –
page 274
59.05% "Slowest start ever, but I'm now super into it (even though there are a bunch of tropes I don't like). Can't read this fast enough. :D"
November 24, 2017 –
page 464
November 25, 2017 – Shelved as: read-in-2017
November 25, 2017 – Shelved as: genre-romance-contemporary
November 25, 2017 – Shelved as: setting-usa-ny
November 25, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Sam (AMNReader) Great review! I'm curious what I asked about it...

Sam (AMNReader) Asked+=liked sorry bout that

message 3: by Carmen (new) - added it

Carmen Great review. You are on point with both "best friend's little sister" and Because after his mother abandoned him when he was six he doesn’t believe that love is real. (Never mind that he’s had healthy parental relationships modeled in his life ever since then. This is Romancelandia and things never make sense.) I just read a book with these EXACT same tropes. *rolls eyes*

Renae Carmen wrote: "Great review. You are on point with both "best friend's little sister" and Because after his mother abandoned him when he was six he doesn’t believe that love is real. (Never mind that he’s had hea..."

OMG. I had to rant about this for a long while last night. Like, YES, being abandoned by your mother is certainly traumatic. It could certainly affect your romantic relationships as an adult. HOWEVER, considering that he was adopted right away by a loving, kind, generous woman with whom he continues to have a great relationship, can we really buy the whole "love is fake" excuse he has for never letting any woman close to him? Nope.

message 5: by Ally (new)

Ally Ugh....long books that have no place being long. What is with that? How about edit down to what is necessary and let us really enjoy a story? Great review.

message 6: by Carmen (new) - added it

Carmen

YES. They try to pull this crap all the time. >.<

Julie Crawford great review! agree totally!