Gina's Reviews > A Memory of Violets

A Memory of Violets by Hazel Gaynor

bookshelves: listened-as-audio

OMGGGG I LOVED this sweet story! Such a welcome change from the heavy stuff I'd been reading and the crappy two months I have had. Nicola Barber, one of my very favorite narrators, does the most wonderful voices in this one, especially the Irish girls' accents. It takes some talent to switch perspectives and time periods and not confuse the reader, and Hazel Gaynor does a bang-up job. I adored Tilly and my heart broke for Florrie when her "Little Sister" disappeared. I guessed at the mystery, which is pretty predictable, but the important take home messages from all the flower girls are of hope, perseverance in the face of adversity, love and friendship, and the strength of the human spirit. Such an uplifting story in spite of the dire circumstances some of these girls had lived in. I was so sad to see it end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Memory of Violets.

October 10, 2017 – Started Reading
October 12, 2017 –
35.0% "Already in love with this book! Narration by one of my favorites, Nicola Barber, is a bonus."
October 16, 2017 – Shelved