Renee's Reviews > In the Woods

In the Woods by Tana French

liked it

** spoiler alert ** I was flying through this and loving it, waiting for something that was going to shock me, and it just didn't happen. I loved the writing. Rob Ryan is annoying, but I could deal with it. I had no problem with how the mystery in the present day was handled, but the fact that there was no resolution for his own mystery -- THE ENTIRE PREMISE OF THE BOOK -- drove me insane. Why? Why in the world couldn't there have been SOMETHING there?

Toward the beginning, there was something mentioned about a blond wig coming off. It was fragmented and in italics. I thought it would have to be pertaining to one of his memories from when his friends went missing. I still have no idea what it mean. When he tries to sleep in the woods, he hears weird noises. Those are never explained. And the 1984 mystery is never solved. It was so disappointing to go from loving the book the whole way through to being totally unsatisfied at the end. This was on a list of "the most terrifying books you will ever read." I don't know why that is, either. Because Rosalind is psychotic and had her sister killed and remains free because she's manipulative and outsmarted everyone?

He also mentions at the beginning that it's important to know that he lies. Then there's a paragraph toward the end that reminds the reader that he says this. He tells us he's not trustworthy, but I still don't really know what he lied about it. So then... am I to disregard the entire story? I just feel so confused by this ending.

I really, truly thought there was going to be something in the woods. I'm bummed that the end of this book answered basically nothing for me, so it kind of feels like I wasted a lot of time reading it.

All that aside, I really did enjoy the first 400 pages...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Woods.

October 16, 2017 – Started Reading