Andrea's Reviews > I Am Charlotte Simmons

I Am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe

May 03, 2008

did not like it
bookshelves: didn-t-finish, book-group-la-reads
Recommended for: somebody in need of a doorstop

Yawn or cringe? Eye roll? So imagine your grandpa takes you out to the Dog 'n Suds for a root beer float. He goes on to tell you about what life was like at college - not for him but for you. He sprinkles in terms like "phat" and "shorty" and "rad" and "rutting" throughout his tale. Grandpa has been dipping into the Dictionary of American Youth Slang written by the Youth Minister at his church, who has covered the volume in a plain black cover lest it fall into the hands of the few blessed innocents out there, people like Charlotte Simmons, who would only become distraught at how _dirty_ and crude people are.

The point of all of this? Grandpa wants to make sure you know that college is a place of wildly raging hormones, cliques one hoped would have magically disappeared once the threshhold of the high school's doors have been crossed one last time, and LOTS of liquor. You know, in case you missed it on your trip through. He also wants to be sure you know what kind of bullet you dodged at your alma mater and how relieved you should be about it. *ahem*

Don't forget to let Grandpa know that he has dribbled ketchup all down his white suit while talking. You don't want him to be embarrassed by himself, now do you?

Disclaimer: The grandpa (Tom Wolfe-like)in this account is fictitious (sorta) and bears no resemblance whatsoever to the author's own grandpa, with the exception of the love of a good A&W root beer float.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am Charlotte Simmons.

May 3, 2008 – Shelved
Started Reading
May 19, 2008 – Shelved as: didn-t-finish
May 19, 2008 – Finished Reading
June 22, 2008 – Shelved as: book-group-la-reads

message 1: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris I don't know if I agree, because I haven't reaad it yet, but your review is hilarious. I get the impression that, reading this book, one might think un-rad, non-phat people like me never could have made it through college in the 90's and come out with both dignity and a husband.

La Petite Américaine I have read the novel and I agree with the review. Frickin hysterical and accurate review.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Neman Thanks for the heads-up on Charlotte Simmons...but I will remember it as a possible go-to book if I need a laugh...and yes, frickin hysterical (don't know yet about accurate, but I will take La Petite Americaine's word for it).

Robin Ell-oh-ell :) I was going to write a review myself, but yours says it all and much better than I would have!

message 5: by K (new) - rated it 2 stars

K Cloud Nail on the head! That was exactly what I thought. Lol Grandpa. Love your review.