Ayla 's Reviews > Geekerella

Geekerella by Ashley Poston

bookshelves: audiobooks
Read 3 times. Last read January 19, 2018 to January 23, 2018.

Say hello to my new all time favourite YA contemporary.... BECAUSE OH MY GOODNESS THIS WAS GEEKY AND DELIGHTFUL. AHHH!

Does text formatting work on iPad? I guess we'll find out...

I listened to the audiobook of Geekerella honestly only because it was an Audible daily deal when I got it. Otherwise, I might not have picked it up at all. Why? Don't know, really. I've seen it around on Twitter and Instagram, but I never really read the synopsis or anything. If I had, I probably would've picked it up waaaaayyyyy sooner!

Geekerella reminded me of those Another Cindrella Story movies at lot. And that's a good thing, because I LOVE those movies. Except the book was a billion times more geeky and definitely much more fun. I mean, there was cosplay and mentions of about every fandom in the universe. They even mentioned League of Legends which is one of my all time favourite video game so like... No big deal. I absolutely loved it.

I loved Danielle/Elle as a character. Her mom and dad were cosplayers, she's a huge fan of this Star Wars-like Starfield show and she runs a blog about said show. She's almost like a typical fangirl in the best way. I could see quite a lot of myself in her, which I really liked. Also, she worked in a food truck called The Magic Pumpkin, can it get any better?

Well, yes it can. Darien is the other main character of the story. He's the actor who plays the lead in the reboot of Elle's new show. I think some of his parts in the book were absolutely hilarious. I mean, he has a whole lot of crazy fans and obviously he's an actor so... What could go wrong?!

The book isn't all rainbows and sunshine, though, in a good way. It definitely made me cry sometimes. Geeky-ness and fandoms are kind of something really close to my heart and Elle's stepmother and sister(s) were absolutely horrible about it, it broke my heart.

Overall, Geekerella was absolutely wonderful. I wish I'd taken more notes while listening to the audiobook so I could've done the book justice with this review. I'm definitely picking up a physical copy of this one as I need to reread it and have it on my shelf.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Geekerella.

Quotes Ayla Liked

Ashley Poston
“When you can't win the fight, you get bigger guns."

- Episode 14, "Better Space Than Never”

Ashley Poston
“My dad said that the impossible is only impossible if you don’t even try. So I want to try.”

Ashley Poston
“I've met my doom, and it isn't even breakfast yet.”

Ashley Poston
“I suck at being social. I think one thing and my mouth says something completely different, like I'm possessed. By a whole lot of stupid.”

Ashley Poston
“Starlight, star bright, you can be anyone you want to be tonight.”

October 16, 2017 – Started Reading
October 16, 2017 – Shelved
October 16, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
October 16, 2017 – Shelved as: audiobooks
October 16, 2017 –
page 0
0.0% "“Is that girl wearing my face on her shirt?” OH MY GOD AHAHAHA. Two chapters in and I’m LOVING it so much already! It’s like a book version of the Cinderella Story movies."
October 19, 2017 – Finished Reading
January 19, 2018 – Started Reading
January 19, 2018 –
page 0
0.0% "EEEEE I'm starting this again and I'm so excited because it's my favourite contemporary EVER!!!!"
January 23, 2018 – Finished Reading
April 23, 2018 – Started Reading (Paperback Edition)
April 23, 2018 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
April 23, 2018 –
12.0% "Like I said before... I'm reading WAY too many books.

BUT I got the paperback "ARC" through Netgalley and it has bonus content! BONUS. CONTENT. YES, PLEASE."
(Paperback Edition)
April 28, 2018 –
51.0% "I love this book. So, so, SO MUCH. 💕✨" (Paperback Edition)
April 29, 2018 – Finished Reading (Paperback Edition)
May 4, 2018 – Shelved as: favourites (Paperback Edition)