Sarah's Reviews > The Merchant's Daughter

The Merchant's Daughter by Melanie Dickerson

Sep 26, 2011

bookshelves: loved
Read from November 20 to 22, 2011

Thanks to NetGalley and Zondervan for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Retelling of Beauty and the Beast. I just love retellings, and I love books in this time zone.
After Annabel Chapman's father, a wealthy merchant, dies, her family is left with nothing but debt. Annabel choses to work as a servant to the new lord of her village, Lord Ranulf le Wyse rather than marring the repulsive Bailiff Tom. Annabel has heard tales of the lord as a monstrous beast, while he is scarred terribly he couldn't be more "beastly". She begins to respect him; the lord even becomes a haven for Annabel when the bailiff sends unwelcomed advances toward her. While Annabel never intended to marry anyone, she wanted to become a nun, but her family couldn’t pay the expenses, she can't help the feelings that start to grow for Lord le Wyse.
I’m not a huge Christian fan, but this book was easy to read even though Annabel reads from the bible every night but I kind of skimmed over those parts. Even though I’m not a fast reader, I read this book within a day.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Merchant's Daughter.

11/22/2011 page 100