C.G. Drews's Reviews > White Rabbit

White Rabbit by Caleb Roehrig

bookshelves: 4-star, read-2018, ya-male-narrators, young-adult, thriller-crime

Ah the bookworm life! Where you get a chance to relax so you PICK UP THE MOST STRESSFUL BOOK YOU CAN FIND and have a good ol' time. Haaaa yes I'm fine. And I absolutely found myself so tense while reading this I had to forcibly relax. It definitely kept me confused and guessing until the end, which is pretty much what I want in a thriller.

And I didn't expect to be hit with all these queer acceptance feels. 😭 💛I mean. It's like MURDER...and then SOULFUL TALKS ABOUT LOVE. I am so so here for this.

It's also set over just ONE NIGHT. Which makes it absolutely super intense and face-paced! Although there were a few scenes were they were describing, like, the scenery and I'm here all: "omfg we don't cARE about the picnic tables who is gonna get murdered." I am impatient. It's hard to tell.

I really enjoyed getting to know our narrator, Rufus Holt. Which honestly throws me into Brooklyn Nine-Nine feels and I'm 5000% convinced he is the son of Captain Raymond Holt. You can't convince me otherwise. The kid is good at puzzling out murder mysteries too! Rufus also has a ton of anger issues, which he actually took medication and had therapy for, which I think was really something great to address! It didn't label what he had, but I kind of wonder if it was IED? He also has a super messy family (with like a dad who HATES him because Rufus is living proof of his rich dad's affair) and this super loving mum. He's also gay and has had his heart smashed by Sebastian.

...ah let's talk about SEBASTIAN. Who was one of those cases of "I SHOULD HATE HIM BUT I FEEL BAD FOR HIM." He has so much character growth in just the course of this one night! I loved it. And I love how he and Rufus had a lot of chemistry, anger, hurt, and intense feelings still. It showed so so well.

I did get a little confused with all the long dialogue expositions. Probably just me though? Like I wanted ANSWERS so sometimes I was being impatient about going through all the expositions to get to them? And agrughsgh I am not a fan of dialogue tags so all the "she screeched" and "he howled" kind of things really had me gritting my teeth. SOME are good. NOT as a general rule. It's just too much telling? I would've preferred to have read their body language more? But personal preference there!

All in all? YeS THIS ONE WAS SUPER GOOD. I devoured it in a day and kind of just stressed out recreationally the whole time. I did like this author's Last Seen Leaving too, but I think I like this one better!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read White Rabbit.

October 16, 2017 – Shelved
October 16, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
August 9, 2018 – Started Reading
August 9, 2018 –
page 100
31.25% "Ok so the protagonist's name is Rufus Holt and if you don't think my brain sprinted towards Brooklyn 99 and is now seeing thIS AS CAPTAIN HOLT'S SON then you would be wrong"
August 10, 2018 – Shelved as: 4-star
August 10, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
August 10, 2018 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
August 10, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 10, 2018 – Shelved as: thriller-crime
August 10, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Amanda I loved this book! I don't normally read thrillers or murder mystery type books, but this one grabbed my attention and I couldn't put it down! I looooved Rufus and Sebastian. And it was just incredible.

C.G. Drews Same same!! It love this author so much and he's going on my autobuy list for sure!