Yodamom's Reviews > Outliers: The Story of Success

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

bookshelves: audio, owned

This was such an unexpected pleasure to listen to. The narration was fantastic. The information clear and written is such a way that I absorbed and considered the facts presented. For me that is amazing, I am easily distracted and seldom retain most information, ADHD yep. Some of the information seemed stretching, borderline ridiculous, but there were numbers to back the claim. I found his research on the learning systems around the world and the KIPP program the most interesting. It was just another wake up call for American school systems. I listened to this one and want to read it now so I can spend more time thinking about the revelations he explores.
I loved it. I think it was one of the best information books I've read on this subject.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Outliers.

October 15, 2017 – Shelved
March 18, 2018 –
15.0% "very interesting"
March 25, 2018 –
March 29, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Yodamom Thank you Maddie
Maddie wrote: "Fabulous review, Yodamom :)"

message 2: by Aisling Zena (new)

Aisling Zena Great review Yodamom! :)

Yodamom Thank you Aisling Zena

Aisling Zena wrote: "Great review Yodamom! :)"

denise kay jacobs For me, KIPP was the hardest to swallow, but Gladwell doesn't try to argue that KIPP is for everyone. As I read it, anyway, KIPP is almost a Hail Mary for a student willing to put in the work to overcome cultural obstacles. It was challenging bc it goes against everything I believe to be true about children getting enough sleep and exercise. Also, and tell me if you think is your read, along with saying that summers are the problem (not schools), Gladwell is also saying that parents are the problem (bc parents expect schools to do all the work).

Yodamom It is different from each of our eyes, and experiences. From my corner of this world, I see a lot of parents who do expect the school to take care of all education. I read a survey I think in was in Time Mag. that said the average time a parent spends interacting with their children a day is only 7 minutes. Seven minutes a day, that is heartbreaking fo all. The world has gotten busier, faster, and is not focusing on our greatest resource our future our children. I wish I'd had the option of a KIPP program when I was young, I needed more time and attention in school. I don't think it should be easy, I think it should be hard work, easy is dull and unfulfilling. I like that Gladwell didn't think there was one answer, but many possibilities. I can't argue that we we need to change our system of education it was designed in a different time with different goals for the children. I hope for a better future and more Gladwells to challange the status quo. Summers ? Well, I forgot most of my lessons every summer, so for me not a great option.
denise kay jacobs wrote: "For me, KIPP was the hardest to swallow, but Gladwell doesn't try to argue that KIPP is for everyone. As I read it, anyway, KIPP is almost a Hail Mary for a student willing to put in the work to ov..."

denise kay jacobs I appreciate your thoughts.

Yodamom Thanks I appreciate your too, it's always nice to hear other views
denise kay jacobs wrote: "I appreciate your thoughts."