Rebecca's Reviews > The Shepherd's Life: A Tale of the Lake District

The Shepherd's Life by James Rebanks

liked it
bookshelves: anglophiles-delight, farming, memoirs

(Nearly 3.5) My husband valued this more as a memoir than as a cultural document; the opposite was true for me. As a memoir it’s fairly unexceptional, but it’s valuable as a picture of a rare and dwindling way of life in the British countryside.

Some favorite lines:

“My grandfather is, quite simply, one of the great forgotten silent majority of people who lived, worked, loved and died without leaving much written trace that they were ever there. He was, and we his descendants remain, essentially nobodies as far as anyone else is concerned. But that’s the point. Landscapes like ours were created by, and survive through, the efforts of nobodies.”

“Everyone in Oxford was bored with perfect kids from perfect schools. Being a bit northern and weird was my greatest strength. It could make me interesting.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shepherd's Life.

October 15, 2017 – Shelved
October 15, 2017 – Shelved as: anglophiles-delight
October 15, 2017 – Shelved as: farming
October 15, 2017 – Shelved as: memoirs
October 22, 2017 – Shelved as: on-hold
November 21, 2017 – Started Reading
December 8, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Paul I thought that the writing made this one of the better types of this sort of memoir

Rebecca I found the writing quite plain: gets the point across, gets the job done sort of thing.

Paul He is an interesting guy to follow on twitter too

Rebecca Paul wrote: "He is an interesting guy to follow on twitter too"

Yeah, isn't it funny how well he does on Twitter when he's such a traditional type? I imagine one reason his book has been so popular is word of mouth via Twitter.

message 5: by Canadian (new)

Canadian An unusual calling, from the sounds of it. It’s somewhat surprising that such an occupation persists.

message 6: by Margitte (new)

Margitte Great review, Rebecca. Yes, we're all nobodies, or most of us. Novels bring our history to life where our forefathers failed to keep diaries, right? :-)

Rebecca Margitte wrote: "Great review, Rebecca. Yes, we're all nobodies, or most of us. Novels bring our history to life where our forefathers failed to keep diaries, right? :-)"

Interesting point. I wonder if I would have preferred a novel. Actually, Devil's Day has a rather similar setting and feel, though it's more of a spooky tale.

message 8: by Margitte (new)

Margitte It's probably why I love reading historical fiction.

Rebecca Margitte wrote: "It's probably why I love reading historical fiction."

Same here, though I do normally love memoirs too.

message 10: by Margitte (new)

Margitte Yes, me too.