Marvin's Reviews > Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home

Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Joss Whedon

Sep 26, 2011

it was ok
Read on September 26, 2011

I probably shouldn't be reviewing this. I never cared for graphic novels. Except for the parent-approved Illustrated Classics and an occasional DC or Spidey, I rarely read comic books as a kid. The few graphic novels I've seen as an adult never impressed me...except for The Dark Knight. That was cool.

But I love Buffy the TV series...all seven seasons. So when I learned that this graphic novel started where season seven left off I was hopeful.

Well, as Thomas Wolfe said, you can't go home again. The first installment was a complete disappointment. Stiff drawings, silly plots, nothing like the TV show. Whedon Joss's snappy dialogue is there but without the friction between slayer life and real life that made Buffy so memorable, it is like reading a compilation of Henny Youngman one-liners. The plot shifted so quickly I wondered if the writers and artists developed a virulent form of ADHD. I have no intention of reading the rest of the books in this series.

So it's back to watching Buffy episodes on DVD. Maybe I'll try another graphic novel...in maybe ten years.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

message 1: by Gem (new) - rated it 1 star

Gem I absolutely totally agree with you. I find that these comics are complete tripe and a considerable insult to buffy. I recommend all copies of this crap be destroyed - as it goes against the whole buffy philosophy, and true fans who care about the shows' real meaning would never give this the time of day. Joss Whedon is taking the mickey out of fans, taking their money and making everything that buffy stood for to be a farce. Burn them all!