Kristin's Reviews > The Good People

The Good People by Hannah Kent

bookshelves: books-i-own

This was so good. Like Burial Rites (which I also loved), it's dark and atmospheric and haunting. It got me right from the beginning, with Nora's feelings of grief at the loss of her husband. (Ever since I got married, I feel like I'm extra sensitive to that aspect of a story... I can't even imagine!) I was so sucked in to this rural Irish community and their superstitions. I had no idea, going into this book, of how deep the folklore ran in these people and mingled with their Catholic religious beliefs. It seems like such a strange combination to me, but the author writes it so effortlessly!

It proves the talent of this author... in Burial Rites she basically made me sympathize with a murderer. Here she made me hope with Nora (at first, anyway) that Nance could bring her grandson back to her! I had to remind myself that this wasn't a "fairy tale" and that fairies didn't really exist in this story and that these cures could not end well for that poor little boy. It broke my heart to see Mary caring for him and confused by what was best for him.

Even though it was depressing and hard to read at times, I didn't want to put this book down. Another enthralling book from Hannah Kent!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good People.

October 15, 2017 – Shelved