Bárbara's Reviews > Brunette Ambition

Brunette Ambition by Lea Michele

I never considered myself much of a Glee fan- sure, I watched the show, and liked some of its aspects (disliked, criticized and made fun of many others), and I did follow it somehow religiously after I started watching it halfway through its second season.
It came to be in a funny way: a few friends of mine watched it from the start, and soon started peer pressuring me into getting into the damn thing. Being my usual petty self, I resisted.
Until one day, I had just fixed myelf lunch at my dad's after class, and I sat before the TV; kept changing channels, unsuccessful in finding anything interesting to watch, until I got to Fox and I saw that Glee was starting. Sighing, I went "what the hell" and stayed with it.
I stayed with it until the last episode of its last season and, again, while I never considered myself a huge fan of the show, it's to this day that I still miss it.
One could say it grew on me like moss, or a skin disease (if you don't get that totally-offtopic reference, get off my face).

So, anyway, after the long ass intro, let's get to the book itself!
I wanted to get my hands on it since I first heard about it: even though my relationship with Glee (and with Rachel Berry herself) was nothing if not complicated, I always held Lea in pretty high regards: what little I knew of her personal self and her professional life made her a really interesting figure to me.

I loved getting this glimpse into her life experience, and it definitely helped paint a more complete picture of who she is, but also of every factor that played a part into her getting to be that person- and moreover, how her experience is still pretty much *human*. She knows that her life differs from the life of most people, but that doesn't cause her to keep her distance from the reality of the average human, so to speak.

By sharing her own, unusual, experience, and let the reader in on some of the steps that lead her to where and who she is, Lea offers the reader some tips on how to get to know yourself and thus help you find a path to live your life to the fullest. Her advice, while (obviously) focused mainly on what helped her achieve the level of stardom she currently has, can be applied to any kind of life experience, since she herself acknowledges that not everything works the same for everyone- it all boils down to each particular path in life.

I always found Lea inspiring, and after reading this book- which shed a new light on who she really is- I can't help but be awed by how down to earth she really is. I really enjoyed this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brunette Ambition.

October 14, 2017 – Started Reading
October 14, 2017 – Shelved
page 9
4.33% "She mentions Cory in the intro and I'm already emotional, send help."
page 18
8.65% "I bet after what happened in the anecdote she just wrote about, she learned to always listen to Chris, for the rest of her life lol"
page 167
80.29% "This is somehow different from what I expected, but I'm enjoying it all the same! It's quite good!"
page 179
86.06% "I'm so emo right now: There was an entire section dedicated to her friendship with Jonathan Groff (called "Love Letter to Jonathan Groff")."
October 14, 2017 – Finished Reading