Anna Tan's Reviews > Farsighted

Farsighted by Emlyn Chand

liked it
bookshelves: e-books, review-copy

In Emlyn Chand’s Farsighted, sixteen-year-old Alex Kosmitoras has never been able to see. He ‘sees’ the world through the things he hears, touches and smells and to mess things up, he’s beginning hear and smell things that aren’t there. The mysterious new psychic next door tells him he can see the future - but the future he’s seeing is one where his new friend and crush, Simmi, is in terrible danger.

It’s not often that you get a story written in the voice of a blind person, and Chand did a good job of it, though there were some strange instances where Alex knows that Shapri is taking a “soggy bite of something using her school-issued spork” - how would he know what kind of utensil she’s using if he can’t see? Chand also injects some multiculturalism into the story as well - Simmi, short for Simran Kaur Shergill, is from New Delhi, India. I was a little skeptical of the “coconut hair” descriptions though - maybe the oils they use here in Malaysia are nothing like those in India, because they really did not smell of coconut (though apparently they are made from it).

I didn’t bother much with the runes and the prophecies included at the beginning of each chapter. Not quite my thing, and I don’t think it really added much to the story anyway. It was an interesting idea though, if you’re into that kind of stuff.

Overall I enjoyed the story, though I did feel that the ending was rather… sudden. I don’t know why, but it just felt a little rushed and abrupt towards its conclusion.

- I received this book free for review purposes from Novel Publicity as part of the Social Media Whirlwind Tour.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farsighted.

September 25, 2011 – Shelved