Gary's Reviews > Undercity

Undercity by Catherine Asaro

Set at an early point in Asaro's Skolian Saga, soldier turned P.I. Bhaajan is hired by the royal house on Raylicon to find a missing prince and some missing weapons. Her investigation takes her back to the place she grew up, the shadowy "undercity", a society living in the dried up aqueducts under the city of Cries, where she learns that a potentially devastating war between two rival gangs is brewing. Bhaajan must find a way to either stop the violence or limit the damage, while preventing the authorities from making the problem worse by launching a full scale invasion of the undercity.
Fast paced storytelling and deft characterization have always been hallmarks of Asaro's fiction, and Undercity is no exception. I was especially drawn to the Bhaajan's internal conflicts, particularly her concern over helping the poverty-stricken citizens of the undercity without letting outside interference spoil the unique and rich culture there. The climax was thrilling enough to get me through the overlong denouement, which ties up too many loose ends a little too neatly.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Undercity.

October 13, 2017 – Started Reading
October 13, 2017 – Shelved
October 13, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Justine (new) - added it

Justine I haven't read anything by Asaro, but this sounds good.

Gary Justine wrote: "I haven't read anything by Asaro, but this sounds good."

She's a fun writer. A lot of emphasis on romance and adventure, but she is also a physicist and weaves scientific themes into her stories.

message 3: by HBalikov (new)

HBalikov what is your favorite book by Asaro, Gary?

Gary HBalikov wrote: "what is your favorite book by Asaro, Gary?"

Until I picked up Undercity, it had been many years (almost twenty, I think) since I'd read a Skolian book. I liked Primary Inversion quite a bit, and its direct sequel The Radiant Seas. I own a natty old paperback of The Last Hawk - which is set around the same time frame as those other two - but I never read it.

message 5: by HBalikov (new)

HBalikov Gary wrote: "HBalikov wrote: "what is your favorite book by Asaro, Gary?"

Much appreciated!