Paromjit's Reviews > Artemis

Artemis by Andy Weir

F 50x66

bookshelves: crime-fiction, fantasy, mystery, netgalley, science-fiction, thriller

I never read The Martian but am aware that it is a hugely popular book and movie. I don't read much science fiction but I loved Artemis. Weir goes into a lot of depth and detail in his world building of a city on the moon that has adopted Kenyan time, with its 5 bubbles named after famous astronauts with their own distinct identities and linked by tunnels. What made this book such a great read for me is the complex character of 26 year old Jazz Bashara, a woman that breaks every stereotype of a Muslim Saudi Arabian female. She works as a lowly porter with a sideline in earning extra slugs (currency) from smuggling goods for her customers. She is intelligent, sassy, witty, knows how to hold a grudge and is funny. She has the street smarts to be so much more than a porter, but she is drawn to testing herself outside the conventional boundaries of society and sidestepping the expectations others have for her, particularly her father. For her, the thrill is in the challenge and the smuggling allows her to supplement her meager earnings as a porter which allows only for her to reside in a 'coffin', where she can sleep, but otherwise has to share communal facilities with others.

The wealthy Trond Lanvik is looking to acquire Sanchez Aluminium through underhand means and offers Jazz a million slugs to sabotage the company. Jazz is immediately drawn to the proposal because she wants somewhere better to live and more. She comes up with a plan that she is only partially successful in executing. It soon hits her that she has taken on more than she can chew as she comes to discover two murders and realises she is the killer's next target. This means she has to go underground and move amongst the shadows whilst she tries to understand what is going on and escape being killed. To her horror, she finds herself entangled with the Brazilian mob, and has to foil the looming threats to the community of Artemis. So armed with her outlandish and borderline crazy (lunatic?) ideas, and the help of those closest to her, Jazz finds herself in toxic and dangerous territory where the lives of all on Artemis is at stake.

Weir draws up a great supporting cast for Jazz in this tense and suspenseful lunar thriller. There is Jewish Evo guide Dale, gay and desperate to get back in Jazz's good books after a personal betrayal. Jazz and her father have a complicated relationship, which given her rebellious streak, is no surprise, but Weir subtly reveals the depth of their connection and love for each other, despite all that stands between them. Ukrainian Martin Svoboda, a technical whizz, is socially awkward but his commitment to Jazz left me hoping that their relationship would become something more. This is a fantastic read, and I hope Andy Weir has plans to revive Jazz as a character in the future. Many thanks to Random House Ebury for an ARC.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Artemis.

October 13, 2017 – Started Reading
October 13, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley
October 13, 2017 – Shelved as: science-fiction
October 13, 2017 – Shelved as: thriller
October 13, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

Holly  B Yay Paromjit! Glad this was a good read...I just started it last night...intrigued!!

Marialyce I am so glad you liked this book, Paromjit. Andy Weir has a way with strong, in your face characters. Wonderful review as always.

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa What?! You haven't read The Martian?! Sounds like you're gonna have to now. 😂 Great review. I'm SO excited for this one.

message 4: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Great review, Paromjit. I like your description of the female lead.

Michael Wonderful review and nice to sample your joys. I envy you approaching the book without any expectations based on reading The Martian. I probably was distracted comparing the lead characters for similarities and differences. It was a fun read for me and satisfying for realistic world building. The pizzazz of Jazz refreshing despite the plethora of kick-ass female heroes showing they can out-man men. Yet it was a bit disappointing that he made her colorful on paper as Saudi in heritage without infusing significant cultural attributes or meaningful connections.

Judy Lesley Honestly, Paromjit, if you liked this one you really need to read The Martian. That book actually had me holding my breath during some of the scenes. I liked Artemis, but it was definitely a step down for me. If you do read The Martian, though, you need to let some time pass so you won't spend all your time mentally comparing the two books. They are very different.
Judy

message 7: by Elaine (new)

Elaine Great review!

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol Good to read your positive, wonderful review. I know I will be reading this.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan It is fascinating how differently people are responding to this book! Your review is great and glowing and I just read one that was scathing. Interesting!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

i don't think i would have considered this book prior to this review, but i'm going to try and squeeze it in sometime. nice.

message 11: by Barbara (new) - added it

Barbara Great review Paromjit. I'm glad it's a good story. I have it from Netgalley and will be reading it soon. :)

Paromjit Life has run away from me, so I am so sorry to be so late in responding to all your amazing and thoughtful comments and advice. What I can say is that I appreciate every single comment and thought. Apologies again and I really cannot thank all of you enough!! :) oxoxoxxoxoxox

message 13: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ansbro Intelligent, sassy, witty ... that's you isn't it, Paromjit? ; )

Paromjit Kevin wrote: "Intelligent, sassy, witty ... that's you isn't it, Paromjit? ; )"

Kevin... I am gobsmacked...fell over and feeling slightly concussed..yep.. not misreading...really???....you’ve made my day....you’re a wonderful and generous friend. :) xx

message 15: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Clemence Paromjit, I never read The Martian either, although I did see the movie. This one sounds really intriguing!! I am also not a huge sci fi fan but you have piqued my interest. ;)

Paromjit Erin wrote: "Paromjit, I never read The Martian either, although I did see the movie. This one sounds really intriguing!! I am also not a huge sci fi fan but you have piqued my interest. ;)"

I think you might like this Erin.....and thank you so much. :) 😉😉😉

message 17: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin Clemence Paromjit wrote: "Erin wrote: "Paromjit, I never read The Martian either, although I did see the movie. This one sounds really intriguing!! I am also not a huge sci fi fan but you have piqued my interest. ;)"

I thi..."

I will definitely check it out! Thanks for the recommendation :)

Marialyce I liked this one as well but The Martian is even better.

Paromjit Marialyce wrote: "I liked this one as well but The Martian is even better."

Thanks Marialyce...will try to read it sometime soon!

Heidi The Martian was excellent. It's a great low key sci-fi option as it really does not veer into sci-fi fantasy.

I'm looking forward to Artemis and your review and others' comments on it have me anxiously waiting for my library hold on it!

Paromjit Heidi wrote: "The Martian was excellent. It's a great low key sci-fi option as it really does not veer into sci-fi fantasy.

Thank you, Heidi....really hope you enjoy this! :)