Angela's Reviews > Inversions

Inversions by Iain M. Banks

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, series, book-six, sci-fi

For the most part I've enjoyed the Culture books. I read this one out of order, but they don't really go in a particular order, so that didn't much matter. It's kind of funny because the Culture books are generally sci-fi, but while this is a Culture book, it's...weirdly not particularly sci-fi-ish.

The book goes back and forth between two stories that both take place on the same (non-Earth) planet: That of foreign lady doctor Vosill who has somehow gotten herself into the position of personal physician to the (objectively awful, revoltingly misogynistic) King Quience of Haspidu, and DeWars, always-vigilant bodyguard to (gregarious and somewhat blustering) Prime Protector UrLeyn, of Tassasen. At the beginning of the book, the writer hints that in time the connection between the two stories will become clear, but until then, just go with it.

I thought both stories were interesting and well written, but I have to admit that I finished the book still unclear on what the relationship was between the two that I was supposed to pick up on.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inversions.

Started Reading