Leo .'s Reviews > The Lord of the Rings

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

The true source of the fantasy fiction genre. Tolkien has spawned so many fantasy writers since The Lord Of The Rings went into print. I love all the earlier ones too like Verne and Carrol and CS Lewis but The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings its like an institution.๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿ‘

Who else, besides me, has the notion that the real hero in the Lord Of The Rings story is Sam? Sam is the typical accidental hero. He is the girl or boy next door, the ordinary folk. Sam is you and me and represents the courage we all have inside of us. He shows that when the going gets tough and the shit hits the fan it is the most unlikely of us that step up. Hero's are not always musclebound hunks. Not always the James Bond type character or the brilliant lawyer bringing justice to the deserving. Almost all of the time the hero is the one that does the things that go unnoticed, uncelebrated. There is a hero in all of us whether we know it or not.๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿ‘

A Hobbit finds himself on a quest that will change his life

An adventure full, of peril and strife

An ancient evil is rising, to come forth again

Like a dark cancer, enveloping, causing suffering and pain

A gold ring will help Frodo on his way, make him invisible to all near by

But give away his location, as Sauron see's him, from most high

Like the all seeing eye of Lucifer, the eye from the skies

And Frodo is in extreme danger, as a dark army begins to rise

Strider, and Legolas, and Gimley will aid him and Samwise Gamgee

And Meriadoc Brandybuck, and Peregrin Took, and Gandalf, to complete the band of brothers, a family

Gollum, the sinister one, the gold ring an obsession

Gollum wants it back, from Fodo's possession

A tale of great adventure, fantasy of the highest esteem

Tolkien was a master, to me, that's all he has ever been. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฏ
156 likes ·  โˆ™ flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lord of the Rings.

Quotes Leo Liked

J.R.R. Tolkien
“It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish.”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

J.R.R. Tolkien
“I wished to be loved by another, but I desire no manโ€™s pity.”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
tags: eowyn

Finished Reading
October 12, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

message 1: by Mir (new) - added it

Mir 1 star? Why?

message 2: by LaDonna (new)

LaDonna Leo, I must agree with Mir, why 1 star? But, to be honest, I would never read one of the books in the series, let alone, all 3 of them.

Charissa Wilkinson Sorry if you found this series too sluggish. You have to remember though that they were walking into Mordor, that was going to be a hard road. Maybe you will like if if you try it again in about 10-15 years. Tastes do change.

message 4: by Leo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leo . I just noticed that ooops!!
Thank you for pointing it out. Don't know what happened there.

message 5: by Leo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leo . I must have accidentally touched the the one star with my finger on my temperamental Kindle. I am glad you all brought it to my attention... Tolkien might have haunted me. Lol!

message 6: by KESHAV (new)

KESHAV TIWARI Any historical book that you have read...particularly on any country's history...

Charissa Wilkinson It's quite alright. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. My reading partner and I went through it about 13 times in one year.

message 8: by Leo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leo . Lol! Yes cool, My partner bought the hardback copy with glossy illustrations a while back. It cost an arm and a leg but it is a collectors item. that was a sacrilegious act by me, even though it was an accident. One star, it is very seldom I would issue one star even if abook is awful

Charissa Wilkinson The only time I've used 1 star ratings is if I really think no one should read the novel.

message 10: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Great review!

Margret Rosenberg Darn right Sam is the real hero. He spends the entire book being subservient to Frodo, out of love and loyalty, he takes the Ring only in his greatest need, when he believes Frodo to be dead and that he must complete Frodo's task, and he gives it up willingly when he discovers he was wrong. And when at the end Frodo finds himself unwilling or unable to give up the ring, Sam does everything in his power to help Frodo live up to his purpose, even though it means opposing Frodo's current decision.

Throughout the book, Sam displays the highest courage and most pure motivations of any character in the book. Sam Gamgee ROCKS!!

Edwin I agree SAM is the real hero.

Linda Clark Awesome!!๐Ÿ’š

message 14: by Valentina (new)

Valentina Leo, great review, and so on point with the Sam argument. After all it is sam who lifts frodo's spirits when he is down, with fun stories and songs, he is always by his side, and it is sam whom Frodo leans upon during almost the entire journey. " I am going with him, if he climbs to the moon; and if any of those Black Riders try to stop him, they'll have Sam Gamgee to reckon wih"

message 15: by Leo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leo . ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿ‘ absolutely!!

message 16: by Aaron (last edited Mar 06, 2018 05:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aaron "Who else, besides me, has the notion that the real hero in the Lord Of The Rings story is Sam?"

Samwise the Strong!

message 17: by Leo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leo . ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿ‘

Tracey I've been firm on "Sam is the hero" for a hundred years. Without Master Samwise, Middle-earth would have been wall-to-wall orcs in a week.

message 19: by Leo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leo . There would be orcs's everywhere. And many Hobbits's for sure and Gollum would have lived happily ever after!!! ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿ‘

message 20: by Leo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leo . Not many Hobbits's that was meant to be!!๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿ‘

Tracey I must say Leo that The Lord of the rings books are an incredible feat of imagination and writing.
I 're read them every few years and always come away with more from them.
Sam is undeniably the hero because without Sam, Frodo would have given up. Sam gives the quest what is for me a vital ingredient, he gives it hope when all seems lost.
Great review. :)

message 22: by Leo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leo . Yes indeed.

I love the Harry Potter books/movies and Hermione is my favourite character. The fact that she is a muggle, an outsider, not in the club or a blueblood, is fascinating to me. she, against all odds becomes as good as; even better than her pure blood peers. Through hard work, determination, and lots of studying she accomplishes great things and, to me is the real hero. ๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฏ

Tracey I read them all when they first came out and love them.
Obviously Hermione is the brains behind everything.
My favourite book of the series is The Goblet of fire, I think this is when they become darker and have more mature themes. The part in the graveyard after Harry and Cedric touch the cup as truly scary and written so well.

Donald Trump (Parody) Really steams me people keep calling this fiction. This all happened, it had to, the guy knows too much for this not to be real. Get with the program, folks: we're rocking in Middle Earth, not some boring old planet that LAME Neil Tyson won't shut up about. I had no clue we could do things like this! I'm inviting some smart folks to the White House tomorrow to discuss opportunities of luring dragons back to Middle Earth so we can wipe out our enemies. EXCITED!

Tracey But everyone knows Donald Trump is illiterate! FAKE NEWS - er, COMMENT!

message 26: by Lance (new)

Lance Walker I Love Donald Trump!! Let him send in the giant eagles to save the day and to destroy all the Orcs from MS13!!!

Tracey *blocks*