Sheila {ShesGoingBookCrazy.com}'s Reviews > The Oracle Queen

The Oracle Queen by Kendare Blake

See my FULL review of this book on my blog along with others at: shesgoingbookcrazy.com

description

Out today!
“Was it not also me who warned you that a queen is only as good as her advisers?” “Yes.” She crooked her mouth at him. “But you were wrong. That may be true of other queens, but an oracle queen is only as good as her gift.”

I've been anticipating this novella for quite. The Oracle Queen, mentioned several times throughout the Three Dark Crowns series, has remained an aloof point of intrigue. So, I dove into this story, devouring each page, and looking for...something more than I found.

Politics have always played a big role in this series--and the politics are often muddied with deceit and corruption. 500 years earlier...nothing has changed. While there are five abilities represented instead of the three prominent abilities between Mirabella, Arsinoe, and Katherine, there is all-the-more treachery at work between the groups. While I expected this aspect to play a role in this story as well, I was also hoping for more of a fantasy element to be at work as well. Honestly, I felt a bit let down with the way everything panned out, and the truth is revealed behind Queen Elsabet's story.

Despite that fact, the interworkings between the different groups were interesting to see. There was a lot more openness between the groups in terms of friendships and working together. Elsabet, a Sight-gifted queen was close friends with the War-gifted Rosemund. Whereas, 500 years later, friendships between people of different gifts was taboo.
Handsome, they called her. She was a queen of presence, they said. She hoped it was true. With such a homely face, it was all she could aspire to.

Queen Elsabet wasn't what I was expecting. Although, I'm not really sure what I was expecting. While she was a queen, and a young one at that, she was constantly worried about her vanity--to the point of paranoia. This was her weakest quality that guided her to not always make the best decisions.

While this was a decent short story, I was just hoping for it to have more to it. The way everything happened was much more predictable than I had expected.

Vulgarity: None.
Sexual content: There are references, but nothing in detail.
Violence: Minimal.

My Rating: ★★★

My Blog ¦ Bookstagram ¦ Twitter ¦ Pinterest ¦ Facebook

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Oracle Queen.

October 12, 2017 – Shelved
April 2, 2018 – Shelved as: royalty
April 2, 2018 – Shelved as: tbr-series-to-complete
April 2, 2018 – Shelved as: ya-fantasy
April 3, 2018 –
16.0% "Pleasure bloomed in Francesca’s chest as Sonia bared her teeth. Such a strong hatred. Francesca liked strong emotions. Strong emotions she could use."
April 3, 2018 –
53.0% ""Do not be sorry. Just do not become my enemy.""
April 3, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018-completed-reads
April 3, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura High five for your Doctor Who gif! <3

Sheila {ShesGoingBookCrazy.com} Laura wrote: "High five for your Doctor Who gif! <3"

LOL!