emma's Reviews > The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo

bookshelves: auto-buy-authors, fairytale, fantasy, ya, owned, have-at-school, 4-stars, recommend, couldn-t-wait-to-read, reviewed

“I hope you enjoy these stories and the world they populate. I hope you read them aloud when the weather turns cold. And when your chance comes, I hope you stir the pot.”

Have you ever read a book so good it makes you want to retry a book you DNFed? A book you hated so much that getting to the 100-page mark put you in a reading slump? A book you disliked so strongly, you stopped reading it, something you have only done nine times, including textbooks?

I have. And that book (the good one, not the abysmal one), my dear boy, is a little number called The Language of Thorns.

The best way to describe it is “beautiful.” Because the illustrations are, and the book itself is, and the stories and the characters are, and of course the world, the Grishaverse, is unrelentingly beautiful too.

Here are some other words that may be the best way to describe this, though, actually, come to think of it: twisted, fantastical, dark, creative, magical, stunning, unique, gorgeous, surprising, the-best-thing-ever-in-global-history-excluding-warm-chocolate-chip-cookies-and-Alice’s-Adventures-in-Wonderland-because-I-have-a-brand-and-I’m-sticking-to-it.

Some of those are synonyms but that just means they’re extra true.

The Language of Thorns so utterly confirmed Leigh Bardugo as an auto-buy author for me that I’m doubting the reasoning behind the fact that there’s so much as a single thing she’s written that I haven’t read. I’m obsessed with the way her mind works, and the characters she’s able to create, and this gorgeous, insane, twisted world she’s created, which is completely on a level of its own.

I don’t think any of the renowned YA worlds come close to the Grishaverse. JK Rowling, Cassie Clare, all of you: eat your heart(s) out.

There are few things as sweet as hearing about a book that sounds like it was factory-made to suit your interests and then reading that book and loving it.

I could ramble about this for ages.

Bottom line: I love fairytales and I love illustrations and I love the Grishaverse and I goddamn love Leigh Bardugo and this book is a dream and I love it.

---------------
pre-review
whoever came up with the idea of leigh bardugo writing a bunch of twisted, justice-filled fairytales set in the grishaverse in a beautiful illustrated edition should be knighted and given a lifelong pension of cookies and hugs.

WHAT A PERFECT THING.

review to come

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Thorns.

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Lara Nice review. I totally agree with you, this book was amazing. Each story was unpredictable with equally shocking plottwists. Also illustrations were absolutely stunning so of course I had to get myself a hardcover copy xd

emma Lara wrote: "Nice review. I totally agree with you, this book was amazing. Each story was unpredictable with equally shocking plottwists. Also illustrations were absolutely stunning so of course I had to get my..."

thank you!! this is a book you literally have to own. literally. or else you will die probably