Bingeworthy Book Blog's Reviews > Year One

Year One by Nora Roberts

bookshelves: reviewed

When Nora Roberts first spoke of writing a fantasy series I was immediately intrigued.
I'm a huge lover of the fantasy genre and have been reading Nora Roberts books since I was fourteen years old.

Nora Roberts is a prolific romance writer - one of the reigning queens of the genre - and also known for her ongoing sci-fi/detective In Death series that she writes under the pen name J.D.Robb.

The one thing that both these genres (or at least the books that Nora Roberts writes in these genres) is that for the most part, the books in the fantasy and sci-fi/detective genre have a happy ever after, happy for now or a satisfactory ending (in that - the bad guy is captured and put away, etc).
Whereas, in fantasy, as those who write and read the genre can tell you, not all fantasy books, especially epic fantasy books have happy endings.

So I was very curious to see what Nora Roberts would do in the fantasy genre and how the story would play out and I was absolutely thrilled when I was given the chance to read and review an advanced copy of Year One.

So what can I tell you about Year One?
Any lovers of fantasy, dystopian fantasy, or paranormal romance/fantasy romance - read it!

This book completely absorbed me and drew me in.
I was hooked within the first few pages and stayed up reading way, way longer than I should have - ok - I admit it! - I maybe didn't sleep at all! - Mainly because I wanted to read just one more page, and then just one more, until the book was finished.

I am, even now, still feeling the residual effects of a book hangover and am in that mental stage where I don't really want to read anything else yet but merely want to revel and think about the characters and world that I had just been immersed within.

I am not going to tell you anything that happened in the book as I believe in keeping reviews as spoiler free as possible, but I will tell you that Year One , reads like many of Nora Roberts books.

It has the same somewhat lyrical and poetic style of description and imagery as many of her previous works do. The characters and world come to vivid, beautiful life and you have the sense when you're reading - that even if you didn't know the authors name - you would still know that you were reading a Nora Roberts book.

No one writes quite like Nora Roberts.

What I loved the most about this book and the one thing that I am going to take away from it and think about; is that, even though this is a fantasy book, a fictional story, it gave me a sense of hope and reminded me that even in the darkest of times - you can find flashes of light, sparks of courage and bravery, little glimpses of the beauty and strength of the human spirit.

Thank you to Hachette Australia and Netgalley for providing me with an arc of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book with its many ups and downs and surprises and I'm already eagerly awaiting the next book in the series.
I can't wait to see what happens next and I highly recommend reading this book.

You can connect with me at:
Bingeworthy Book Blog
On Facebook
On Twitter
On Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Year One.

Started Reading