Julie's Reviews > The Enchanted Castle

The Enchanted Castle by E. Nesbit

May 03, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: middle-school, childrens-books

This story was first published by E. Nesbit in 1907 and the vocabulary and style of the story seemed dated. As a result, I think that most children would not enjoy it. The tale contains many interwoven elements of traditional fantasy, including the start of the enchanted Princess story (e.g. the Princess is asleep and must be awoken with a kiss from her Prince), that ends up having a twist in that the Princess is not really a Princess and is actually the housekeeper's niece playing a trick on the three children who find her. The story is complex, with four main characters. Some of the other elements included in the tale are granted wishes, invisibility, statues coming alive in the night and love rekindled.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enchanted Castle.

message 1: by Mark (last edited Apr 05, 2010 11:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mark Dewey I'm guessing it seems a whole lot less dated if you're British. I've read a modern British children's book that uses quite similar terminology (if not so often). I'm not saying it's not dated, but probably less so than it would seem. I'm guessing British children would find it easier than American children, personally.

Julie It's possible. I spent some time in the U.K. and have read many modern British children's books and I still think that by comparison this is pretty dated. However, I am not British so can not attest to having an emic perspective on the matter.

Mark Dewey Yeah, I know all British novels aren't like that. You could be right. I'll have to do some surveying if I want to know, I guess.

Joni We love E. Nesbit. We first read aloud The Story of the Treasure Seekers, and I had a lot of explaining to do as I read it, but we've listened to The Enchanted Castle and many others on CD and the children and I enjoy them alot! The stories are very suspenseful, and we laugh at the writing and the things the characters say, and we learn British accents and vocabulary along the way so we can make each other laugh later. I think if kids are brought up on good, classic literature they will appreciate it.