Tony duncan's Reviews > Myths to Live By

Myths to Live By by Joseph Campbell

M 50x66
May 03, 2008

bookshelves: religion-spiritual
Recommended for: interested in myth humanism, religion, self awareness

I saw Campbell give a talk at The new School in the 80's, and he was rieting.

this is an essential read for anyone trying to live a full life.

His basic premise is that Myths serve as spiritual and emotional anchors for development in all cultures. That there are very specific archetypes that are found in all myths that ae necessary for individuals to mature in society. he compares a wide variety of cultural myths and shows where the basic themes of each are similar and serve similar purposes.

He also shows how modern myths serve the same valuable purpose i our culture even thought the idea of myhts is considered quant and irrational. Myths are all around us and are forming our views of ourselves and out culture. there was a great interview with him bt Bill Moyers where he talks of the importance of movies like Star Wars. That they are serving the purpose of myths and form part of the bonding structure in society based on the idea of these universal archetypes. The hero being a major one. The idea that a hero is someone that has a mundane position in society and through a series of life changing events as apart of a journey is transformed into a some one with a deep and clear understanding of the important human values and is willing and able to protect those values from powerful enemies.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Myths to Live By.

Started Reading