Jessica's Reviews > Deaf Child Crossing

Deaf Child Crossing by Marlee Matlin

Sep 25, 2011

bookshelves: 2011-reading-challenge, on-my-shelf, review, diversity-read

See more of my reviews on my blog Thoughts At One In The Morning.

My Thoughts:

I picked this book up because #1, I love Marlee Matlin, and #2, it follows a girl who is deaf, and a girl who is friends with a girl who is deaf. It is a middle grade book, and a very fast read by comparison to what I read normally. So much of the writing is very simple and easy to follow.

Megan and Cindy are both very nice girls (although quite stubborn at times). Megan can be obnoxious, and Cindy can be overly helpful. Somehow they manage to overcome their flaws and remain friends. Cindy learns to fingerspell, and Megan starts to teach her how to sign words. They go to camp together and face more tests to their friendship. They learn how to overcome their differences and treat each other with the right kind of respect a person deserves, whether they are deaf or hearing.

One of my favorite parts in this book is when I find out that Megan is obsessed with Billy Joel. Okay, now you’re thinking, “How can somebody who can’t hear listen to music?” Megan is more hard of hearing than deaf, so with hearing aids she can hear some things, but only when it’s very loud. She even signs the song “Just The Way You Are” for Cindy. And she has a poster of him on her door. Needless to say, I could relate to Megan in that way, because, let’s face it, Billy Joel is awesome.

All in all, this was a very cute book. Marlee Matlin wrote a genuinely superb story of these two girls and the true meaning of friendship. I recommend Deaf Child Crossing for everyone, but I especially find great value in kids reading it. Understanding how to treat people when they’re deaf (or blind or facing other circumstances out of their control) can go a long way to building lasting friendships. It also ensures a feeling of equality and respect that everyone deserves to have no matter who they are.

My Rating:

Very Good: Stay up late
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deaf Child Crossing.

September 25, 2011 – Shelved