Barbara Hackel's Reviews > Dead Man Talking

Dead Man Talking by Jana Deleon

So many good things about this book! It is a premise based on magic complete with a ghost (who I might add has more character than many ghosts!) The main character lives in a light house-how neat is that? Although she is over 80, Sapphire is a tough lady who acts at least 20 years younger than her age. When intruders are discovered in her house, she comes down from her room with mace, but they manage to make her fall near the bottom of the stairs. When she is found in the morning by the man who is remodeling her kitchen and rushed to the hospital, her niece Zoe is called. Zoe lives in LA and is a meteorologist there, but formerly lived with her aunt in the lighthouse. Since her parents are gone on a trip to Australia, Zoe makes arrangements with her boss and flies to Everlasting, Maine to help her aunt. Once there she visits Sapphire before going to the lighthouse, but when she gets there she discovers her ex-boyfriend is the one doing the remodeling work.

The book continues with Zoe meeting a ghost who has come to the lighthouse and learning that there were two intruders the night of her aunt's accident. While this is helpful news, it is now up to her to convince Dane (the ex) that there is a ghost living in the lighthouse and what he saw. Needless to say, Dane has a hard time accepting the ghost and Zoe has to "prove" he is "real."
Now they have joined forces and are determined to solve the mystery of who broke into the lighthouse and why.

I loved the story and the magic of the town. Cornelius the ghost was a hoot. The characters were well developed and easy to imagine as real people. The mystery was great and the twist at the end was a total surprise. The only thing that bothered me was the sudden realization of Zoe's "gift" and how she not only accepts it, but also is able to control it from the moment she realizes what she can do. I find it hard to believe that she could know nothing about this "gift" and yet be able to control it and use it in pinpoint accuracy once her aunt tells her she has it.

Everlasting is a magical place that author Jana Deleon has done a great job telling us about, making the reader wish it was a real place with an available lighthouse for sale! I enjoyed the book and recommend it for a good mystery with slight paranormal and a mild restarted romance. Good for all ages and plenty of laughs that will be enjoyed by all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Man Talking.

Started Reading