Mihir's Reviews > Devil's Night Dawning

Devil's Night Dawning by Damien    Black

bookshelves: spfbo-3-2017-finalists

OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS: Devil’s Night Dawning is a SPFBO 2018 finalist and one which pegged my because of its focus on demons and demonology. The story focusses on a multi variate POV structure and here’s where the author really shines as this book is absolutely wonderfully written to showcase all the different perspectives and the problems each characters face.

Case in point is the prologue itself which introduces a character and tell us so much about him before switching to the main characters and we almost never hear about the prologue character again. Then we get introduce to a novice monk, a squire, and a princess who all are caught in a maelstrom of events beyond their control. The author builds up the world and the past history by way of some info dumps but also sheds a light on the lore and history of the world. Some folks will be able to find a certain Judeo-Christian slant to the mythology that’s utilized in the story. For some this won’t be interesting at all and for some it will be intriguing as they are comfortable with it. For me, it was slightly new and I was hooked onto the whole mix.

The way the author unfolded the story and the development of the characters was very reminiscent of Tad Williams’ fantasy works. In this regard, Damien Black has chosen a wonderful legend to emulate. I’m sure that the author didn’t plan it out to be such but for me there’s a wonderful mirror to reflect. I also liked how the author showcased horror within the story and ultimately there’s very fantasy book which combine epic fantasy and horror. I know among the older fantasy titles David Gemmell and Terry Brooks showcased fantasy mixed in with demons however they didn’t quite have a horror aspect to it. Peter V. Brett recently showcased demonology within fantasy and again it was a good series. With Damien Black, he also has the horror quotient to solidify the story and that was what I really appreciated about it.

The only drawback for me about this debut was the staid place throughout the book, I can see why this might be a problem for some readers. For me, it was a tad troublesome in parts as this is a big book but the world history and characters kept me intrigued throughout. The way the book ends, I want to read the next immediately and thanks to the book being released already, I had already bought the sequel. Damien Black certainly marked himself out with this debut and I for one will be keeping an eye out for his series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil's Night Dawning.

October 10, 2017 – Shelved