Susanne Strong's Reviews > A Wrinkle in Time

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

bookshelves: audiobooks, 2017-five-star-books, favorites, must-read

5+++++ Stars!!!!

“A Wrinkle in Time”. How can I never have read this before??! Have I been living under a rock my entire life?

This was utterly DELIGHTFUL, Amazing, Funny, Scary, Brilliant & Crazy Bold. In short, I loved it. Ok, and I admit, I didn’t read it. I listened to the audiobook, narrated by Hope Davis - and she was amazing. That being said, thank you Madeiline L’Engle, - “A Wrinkle in TIme” was mystical, magical and nothing short of fantastical.

Thirteen year-old Meg Murry and her little brother, Charles Wallace end up going on a little trip.. (without their Mum or their siblings), to the 5th dimension. Mind you, they don’t go alone. They go with Mrs. What-Its, Mrs. Who and Mrs. Witch and a young man named Calvin. Yes, the 5th dimension exists my friends and the trip takes a mere second or two (see, I knew it!). It’s a terrifying trip, yet they go nonetheless. Why do they go you ask? To find and save Meg’s father, a scientist, who has been trapped on Camazotz for years. With help of Calvin, Mrs. What’s Its, Mrs. Who and Mrs. Witch and a friend she encounters named Aunt Beast, Meg is sent off to do the impossible.

Camazotz is an evil planet however, and Camazotz is being controlled by “IT” (not Stephen King’s “IT” mind you), and IT controls everyone and everything and if IT gets control of you, there is no getting free. Finding the strength to fight IT takes something special. It takes something that is inside of everyone who is human. Meg just has to find it.

“A Wrinkle in Time” surprised me. I didn’t have any idea how much I would love it. It was amusing, frightening, intense, intelligent, oh so magical. I simply adored it. I wanted to get to it before the movie came out in a few months and I am so glad I did. If for some reason, you are like me and have never read it, I highly recommend you either read or listen to the audiobook. You will not be sorry. A Wrinkle in Time will leave you breathless. One minute a huge smile will break out on your face, and you will be grinning from ear to ear and then next you will be clenching your teeth, scared for Meg, Charles Wallace and Calvin, hoping against hope that all will turn out ok.

Published on Goodreads, Amazon and Twitter on 10.15.17.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wrinkle in Time.

October 10, 2017 – Started Reading
October 10, 2017 – Shelved
October 10, 2017 – Shelved as: audiobooks
October 11, 2017 –
60.0% "How utterly delightful!!"
October 14, 2017 – Finished Reading
December 10, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-five-star-books
December 10, 2017 – Shelved as: favorites
December 10, 2017 – Shelved as: must-read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)

message 1: by Larry (new)

Larry H Excellent review, Susanne! This was one of my favorite books growing up. So glad you loved it!!

message 2: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Fantastic review Susanne! Glad you loved this one!😊

message 3: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Wow, look at those stars! Glad you loved it! BTW, great review Susanne!

Norma * Traveling Sister Wonderful review, Susanne! I am so happy that you loved this one! 😊

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Ok, so you now have me questioning --> "How can I never have read this before??! Guess I've been living under a rock too. 😂 Better wake up and order myself a copy! Hahahaha. Fabulous review, Susanne.

Mackey I read this series with my kids when they were young. It was "required reading" for them in iur home. Terrific review Susanne!!

Susanne  Strong Larry wrote: "Excellent review, Susanne! This was one of my favorite books growing up. So glad you loved it!!"

Thank you so much Larry! I love that you loved it too (though why am I not surprised!). It was amazing!! I want to shout from the rooftops - but then I think almost everyone else beat me to it! :)

Susanne  Strong Kaceey wrote: "Fantastic review Susanne! Glad you loved this one!😊"

Thanks so much Kaceey!!

Susanne  Strong Nazanin wrote: "Wow, look at those stars! Glad you loved it! BTW, great review Susanne!"

Thanks Nazanin!!!

Susanne  Strong Norma wrote: "Wonderful review, Susanne! I am so happy that you loved this one! 😊"

Thank you Norma! It was just what I needed after such a crazy few weeks at work. What a lovely book. :)

Susanne  Strong Hajar wrote: "Absolutely and utterly brilliant. Glad you loved it, Susanne =)"

It was that and then some Hajar! Thank you so much. :)

Susanne  Strong Melissa wrote: "Ok, so you now have me questioning --> "How can I never have read this before??! Guess I've been living under a rock too. 😂 Better wake up and order myself a copy! Hahahaha. Fabulous review, Susanne."

I WOULD LOVE for you to read this one too Melissa! I think you will love it just as much! Can’t wait to find out. And thank you!

Susanne  Strong Mackey wrote: "I read this series with my kids when they were young. It was "required reading" for them in iur home. Terrific review Susanne!!"

How completely fabulous Mackey! I hope they loved it too!

Crumb An oldie. but a goodie! Wonderful review ☺

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Wonderful review Susanne!

message 16: by Dana (new)

Dana Well...I’ve been under that same rock with you! Haha. I need to read this. Thanks for the enthusiastic review!

message 17: by Dana (new)

Dana ...I do, however, have her book Walking on Water, right here beside me. I may start it this week!

message 18: by Holly (new)

Holly  B I do remember this one. Loved it too!

message 19: by Frances (new)

Frances Wowie .... sounds fabulous Susanne; wonderful review!! 🌷!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader I don't think I've read it either, but I must! Great review, Susanne!

message 21: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Read this with my daughter. Nice review, Susanne.

Michelle Wonderful review, Susanne! It makes me want to rediscover the series, and listening to it this time sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

message 23: by Joe (new) - added it

Joe Valdez Terrific book report, Susanne. I tried reading this in 5th grade and the psychics just went right over my head--at least, I remember some calculating as opposed to storytelling. I'd like to try this again before the film comes out in March. You have me excited to try.

Chrissie Excellent review. I read this in 4th grade, and I remember really liking it then. So, when I put it on Goodreads, I just gave it a middling rating since it had been so long. I like getting an adult opinion on it. Maybe I should re-read this gem.

Jaline - (on 2/3 hiatus) Fabulous review, Susanne! I loved this series and actually re-read several of L'Engle's books in 2001. They are timeless and beautiful! :)

Audrey This was my favorite book as a kid -- I read it over and over.

message 27: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Wonderful review, Susanne!!!

message 28: by Taryn (new)

Taryn Awesome review! I actually can't remember whether I've read this one or not! The movie looks fantastic!

Susanne  Strong Crumb wrote: "An oldie. but a goodie! Wonderful review ☺"

It sure was Crumb! Thanks so much!

Susanne  Strong Mary wrote: "Wonderful review Susanne!"

Thanks very much Mary Beth!

Susanne  Strong Dana wrote: "Well...I’ve been under that same rock with you! Haha. I need to read this. Thanks for the enthusiastic review!"

Glad I was not alone under there Dana!! I will be looking for your review my friend - it is worth it! :) Oh so endearing!

Susanne  Strong Dana wrote: "...I do, however, have her book Walking on Water, right here beside me. I may start it this week!"

Awesome Blossom Dana!

Susanne  Strong Holly wrote: "I do remember this one. Loved it too!"

YEAH! SO happy to hear that Holly! :)

Susanne  Strong Frances wrote: "Wowie .... sounds fabulous Susanne; wonderful review!! 🌷!"

Thanks Frances!

Susanne  Strong Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "I don't think I've read it either, but I must! Great review, Susanne!"

Thank you! And yes Jennifer, I think you must - it was so lovely, fun and whimsical! Something to make your heart soar one minute and then make you a little scared the next all the while giving you hope that all will end well.

Susanne  Strong Diane S ☔ wrote: "Read this with my daughter. Nice review, Susanne."

How lovely Diane! And thank you. :)

Susanne  Strong Michelle wrote: "Wonderful review, Susanne! It makes me want to rediscover the series, and listening to it this time sounds like a good idea. Thanks!"

Thanks Michelle! I am now onto the second book. Loving that one too. A great way to discover the books I think. Let me know if you decide to give them another look see /listen to. :)

Susanne  Strong Joe wrote: "Terrific book report, Susanne. I tried reading this in 5th grade and the psychics just went right over my head--at least, I remember some calculating as opposed to storytelling. I'd like to try thi..."

Awesome Joe! The movie sure does look fantastic. :)

Susanne  Strong Christina wrote: "Excellent review. I read this in 4th grade, and I remember really liking it then. So, when I put it on Goodreads, I just gave it a middling rating since it had been so long. I like getting an adult..."

Thanks Christina! I loved it - that said, I think it might be scarier for children than adults.. but that's just my take. Not sure how you would feel now. :)

Susanne  Strong Jaline wrote: "Fabulous review, Susanne! I loved this series and actually re-read several of L'Engle's books in 2001. They are timeless and beautiful! :)"

How fabulous Jaline! I completely agree with you, timeless, fun, lovely, etc.!

Susanne  Strong Audrey wrote: "This was my favorite book as a kid -- I read it over and over."

That is so fantastic Audrey! Love that. :)

Susanne  Strong Deanna wrote: "Wonderful review, Susanne!!!"

Thank you Ms. Deanna!

Susanne  Strong Taryn wrote: "Awesome review! I actually can't remember whether I've read this one or not! The movie looks fantastic!"

Thanks Taryn. The movie does love amazing!! So excited! :)

message 44: by Rita (new) - added it

Rita Wonderful review, Susanne. Like you I cannot believe that I have not read these.

Susanne  Strong Rita wrote: "Wonderful review, Susanne. Like you I cannot believe that I have not read these."

Thanks Rita! I hope you, like I, find the time and add them to your list. So worth it!

Lindsay - Traveling Sister I love that you loved this Susanne!!! Fabulous review!! :-)

message 47: by Jan (new) - added it

Jan Terrific review, Susanne! I have never read this either, but I'm sure going to now! 😄

Susanne  Strong Lindsay wrote: "I love that you loved this Susanne!!! Fabulous review!! :-)"

Thank you Ms. Lindsay! This novel had me wrapped in it’s glorious web. So excited by it that I started the second novel today. :)

Susanne  Strong Jan wrote: "Terrific review, Susanne! I have never read this either, but I'm sure going to now! 😄"

That’s wonderful to hear Jan! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Audrey The second one's just okay, but most of L'Engle's books are really good.

« previous 1