Beth's Reviews > How Reading Changed My Life

How Reading Changed My Life by Anna Quindlen

Sep 25, 2011

Read from April 10 to 11, 2012

A book about being a bookworm?! Be still my heart! Anna Quindlen is a gifted writer and I simply adored her reminsicings on reading through childhood, her recollections of particular favorite books -- I liked it so much that I was reading aloud whole passages to my husband. I wasn't quite as enthralled with the discussion on banned books (maybe because I couldn't identify with it as readily). But I did think the book lists in the back were fun (even though I shake my head at her omission of Les Miserables from her "thick, wonderful reads" list and her inclusion of Sons and Lovers on "books to save in a fire" -- she notes that such book list are subjective, anyway, and it's true.)

Just like A Short Guide to a Happy Life, this book is entirely quotable. I wanted to scribble down the whole thing in my notebook. Here are a couple of my favorites:

"We read in bed because reading is halfway between life and dreaming, our own consciousness in someone else's mind." (p. 20)

"Books are the destination and the journey. They are home." (p. 70)

A slim, well-written book that every reader will enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Reading Changed My Life.

Quotes Beth Liked

Anna Quindlen
“Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. They are the destination, and the journey. They are home.”
Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life

Anna Quindlen
“How is it that, a full two centuries after Jane Austen finished her manuscript, we come to the world of Pride and Prejudice and find ourselves transcending customs, strictures, time, mores, to arrive at a place that educates, amuses, and enthralls us? It is a miracle. We read in bed because reading is halfway between life and dreaming, our own consciousness in someone else's mind.”
Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life

message 1: by Alicia (new)

Alicia I love Anna Quindlen! I am totally adding this to my list of books to read.