Melanie's Reviews > Inkmistress

Inkmistress by Audrey Coulthurst

bookshelves: arc, fantasy, lgbtqiap, young-adult, buddy-reads, dragons, read-in-2018, romance, favorites, signed, own-voices

ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Okay, real quick, I’m going to do a little PSA, since I think a lot of you might need it: Bisexuals who are with boys are still bisexual. Bisexuals who are with girls are still bisexual. Bisexuals who are with people who identify as nonbinary are still bisexual. Bisexuals who have never been with anyone are still bisexual.

And the fact that I still have to say this, in 2018, is why Inkmistress is now one of my favorite YA Fantasies of all time. We need books, of all genres, that normalize sexuality in every aspect. But you all might not realize how rare it is to read a book about a bisexual girl ending up with a boy and still seeing her bisexuality beautifully on display. This book moved me to tears. And I believe with my whole heart that this book is going to be one of my all-time favorites.

“You would never hurt anyone on purpose, Asra, and that is both your strength and your weakness.”

Inkmistress follows one of my new favorite protagonists, Asra, who lives her life secluded away in the mountains. She lives her life in hiding, only traveling down to the village below when weather permits it, to help them with births and other medicinal needs. Yet, some people still view her as a witch. But what Asra really is is so much more powerful.

Asra has the power to change the future, present, and past with her blood. Yet, at a cost. To be able to wield such power, it takes from her lifeforce and ages her. But we soon learn that there isn’t anything she wouldn’t do for a girl who has accepted her when no one else has.

Also in this world, people come into adulthood when they are able to manifest, or bond with an animal by being blessed by the six gods that truly do control this world. Obviously, some animals are more powerful than others, but the most important thing is to just be able to manifest.

Asra feels like she has no other choice but to grant the girl, who she loves more than anything in this world, her wish: to finally manifest. And manifest Ina does. Into something more powerful than Asra imaged. Unfortunately, it is not the happiest of celebrations, because Asra learns again that it is a very scary thing to wish for something, and there will always be consequences of shaping the future.

From there we are sent on a journey and an adventure, where Asra is trying to do the right thing, while also trying to learn who and what she really is. And I promise, it is nothing short of amazing. And we get to meet so many wonderful side characters. Even though I’m very biased towards Hal, who is a PoC who stole my heart completely. I instantly loved him. And let me tell you, the Romance in this book is everything I’ve ever wanted in my life, seriously.

“Love was the way he made me laugh when I least thought it possible, and the way our voices came together to sing a tavern song inappropriate for most company. Love was the way he kissed me until I knew without doubt that anywhere he was would be home.”

This book has such an important discussion on unconditionally love, and how you are always worthy and deserving of it. We see unapologetic heartbreak in this book, and it’s not easy to read, but it’s so important to read. Very rarely is your first love your only love, and sometimes you figure that out in a very hurtful way. And just in general, nothing hurts worse than when someone you love hurts you, betrays you, or chooses to not love you anymore. Learning that it is okay to love again, and that you are worthy of love, is something that so many people struggle with, myself included. And in case you need a reminder, from a random book reviewer: You are deserving of love, always and forever, you are deserving of love.

“In these dark and lonely moments, did she think of me as I thought of her?”

And I see people saying this feels info-dumpy? But I honestly didn’t feel like that at all. Maybe it is because I read so much Adult High and Epic Fantasy? But I easily understood and fell in love with the world and the world building. I thought it was super easy to understand, yet I was completely mesmerized at every new development. Like, I truly think this world was close to perfect in my eyes.

And this is completely irrelevant to my rating, but I still have to shout it from the rooftops: This book has one of my all time favorite names! And you all know I’ve read a lot of books, and this was the first time I have ever seen it printed in a story. And I’m not that big of a tease to not tell you all; the name is Garen, and I first fell in love with it back 2011 when I first installed League of Legends. Well, it’s 2018 and it is still my all-time favorite, so I couldn’t resist gushing. Also, to further prove that the universe perfectly aligned to put this book into my hands.

And this book is truly a blessing. It had everything I like to see in my Fantasy: Girls with hidden powers, blood magic, herbal healing, gods, tyrant kings, traveling from city to city, secret societies, swoon-worthy romance, friendship, motherhood, twists, turns, betrayals, and… dragons. Honestly, I know I’m not even near considered a teen anymore, but I feel like I was completely targeted by this book. And I think so many of my Adult Fantasy reader friends would love this one, too.

The writing is beautiful, the journey and adventure were perfection, the messages are so important. I was living for the feministic themes, I was swooning over the romance, I was crying over the reveals. I will carry this story with me forever, I will recommend this story to every fantasy lover I ever meet, I will always consider myself blessed to have been privileged enough to open this book.

The only negative thing I can even think of saying is that I’m kicking myself that I haven’t read Of Fire and Stars yet. I feel like this book did such a wonderful job hinting at what is to come, and I am so excited. I am 100% obviously telling you that you can read this first and completely enjoy the story, but I bet you’d get a lot of enjoyment if you have read Of Fire and Stars.

Overall, this was everything to me. It means more to me than I can say, or any word combination my fingers could type for you. I loved this. I truly loved this with the sum of my being. And the more I think about it, the more I fall in love with it. I just hope you all give it a try and fall in love with it, too.

Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Youtube | Twitch

The quotes above were taken from an ARC and are subject to change upon publication.

Buddy read with Jules! ❤

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inkmistress.

October 10, 2017 – Shelved
October 10, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
October 10, 2017 – Shelved as: arc
October 10, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
October 10, 2017 – Shelved as: lgbtqiap
October 10, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 23, 2018 – Started Reading
February 23, 2018 –
18.0% "I am actually sort of in love with this. Plus, it has a character with my all time favorite "boy" name, so that was pretty neat. Seriously though, demigod girl with blood magic, hiding up the mountains, only to help the village bellow her while they think she is some sort of witch, and she has a girlfriend that visits her cave when weather allows? Perfection."
February 27, 2018 – Shelved as: buddy-reads
February 27, 2018 – Shelved as: dragons
February 27, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
February 27, 2018 – Shelved as: romance
February 27, 2018 – Finished Reading
March 1, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites
April 3, 2018 – Shelved as: signed
November 14, 2018 – Shelved as: own-voices

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

Lea (drumsofautumn) OMG YES 😭💜

message 2: by vicky. (new)

vicky. is it better than Of Fire and Stars?

Melanie Lea (drumsofautumn) wrote: "OMG YES 😭💜"

Like, the more and more I think about it, the more and more I love it. (Also, we have been such book twins lately! I am lowkey living for it!)
💖xx

Melanie Victoria wrote: "is it better than Of Fire and Stars?"

I am so terrible and haven't read it! But there are so many promises in this book, that I'm so dang intrigued to pick it up now! 💖xx

Lea (drumsofautumn) Victoria wrote: "is it better than Of Fire and Stars?"

IT DEFINITELY IS!

Lea (drumsofautumn) Melanie wrote: "Lea (drumsofautumn) wrote: "OMG YES 😭💜"

💖xx"

YES, HARD SAME! When I looked at my highlighted quotes to put some in my review I STARTED CRYING haha. (and omg yessss, you're right! amazing!!!)

message 7: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Great review!

message 8: by Bitchin' (new) - added it

Bitchin' Reads *dancing* I'm looking forward to getting my copy! <3

Lea (drumsofautumn) GREAT REVIEW 💕

message 10: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Melanie!!

Melanie Kat wrote: "Great review!"

Thank you so much, Kat! Hopefully I didn't gush too hard! 💚📚xx

Melanie Bitchin' wrote: "*dancing* I'm looking forward to getting my copy! <3"

Yesssss! I'm so excited for the world to love this one! 💚📚xx

Melanie Lea (drumsofautumn) wrote: "GREAT REVIEW 💕"

THANK YOU, BEAUTIFUL! Your video was... beyond words amazing! Seriously, such book twins for 2018 releases! Haha! 💚📚xx

Melanie Deanna wrote: "Great review, Melanie!!"

Thank you, Denna love! Happy reading! 💚📚xx

elizabeth • paper ghosts Oh, gosh, I haven't read "Of Fire and Stars", but I really need a book with this kind of representation in my life.

Melanie elizabeth • paper ghosts wrote: "Oh, gosh, I haven't read "Of Fire and Stars", but I really need a book with this kind of representation in my life."

Girl, it was EVERYTHING! I still can't stop thinking about it! Happy reading! 💗xx

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ Teach me how to write such great reviews? Thanks...

Melanie Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "Teach me how to write such great reviews? Thanks..."

Um.... you write the most perfect reviews on Goodreads dot com, thank you very much! So, teach me YOUR ways! Also, I love you! Hahaha! thank you, love. Forever thankful for you! 💖xx