Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥'s Reviews > Long Shot

Long Shot by Kennedy Ryan

bookshelves: romance

4.5

When I read Grip by Kennedy Ryan last year, I used the word "important" to describe it. If I had to use one word to describe Long Shot, I would use the same one. This book helps give a voice to millions of people that suffer and are judged by others that have never gone through the horror they've experienced or still experience every single day.
"She is singular, obliterating every kiss that came before her, eliminating the possibility of anyone else ever tasting this good.”

August West and Iris Dupree meet in a bar before the two graduate from college. They have an instant spark followed by the conversation of a lifetime, but something prevents them from taking things further than a one time kiss. Their timing is all wrong, but they never forget the connection they felt that night.
“In my dreams I choose him, my prince, instead of the fraud. In this parallel universe, at this second-chance juncture, I turn right instead of choosing wrong… and there only there, we are together."

As time goes on, life takes them in different directions keeping them apart. Other than a few chance but memorable meetings, Iris and August have no contact. In spite of that, their feelings for one another never dissipate.
"I’ll see her again. That thread that connects us, glowing neon, it’s still there. I may not be able to see it, but I feel it. It’s still wrapped around me. Wherever Iris is, I hope it’s wrapped around her, too.”

When they finally reconnect, the pull they've always felt towards one another is too strong to deny. They momentarily give in to their feelings, and for that moment, all seems right with the world. Until that moment has passed and reality comes crashing down....
"Ours is a love that reimagines—that peels back the sky at high noon searching for the stars, collecting them like shells in a bucket. We bathe in stardust, drink from the Milky Way, and dance on the moon. We pierce the firmament, peer into infinity, and tread on time and space. There is no before. There is no after. Now gives birth to forever. This moment may die, but this love never will. Time is not a line. It’s a circle, and we, August and Iris, we stand at the center.”

Long Shot is a love story, but it's also so much more than that. Don't get me wrong, Iris and August's romance gave me all the feels, but Iris' personal journey in this novel touched me even more. Kennedy Ryan is one of those authors that doesn't just entertain you with her stories. She makes you think. She enlightens you, and sometimes, she might even change you.

I've been purposely vague with my review, because I don't want to spoil this experience for you. That's what reading this book is...an experience. It's one you won't forget, and one that hopefully WILL make you think. One that will make you look at your own prejudices and judgements and show you another perspective.

If you want to know if I recommend this book, the answer is YES. It doesn't matter if romance is your preferred genre or not. This is a book for everyone. It's a story that needs to be heard, and Kennedy did an amazing job telling it. I hope you give it a shot!

ARC generously provided for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Long Shot.

October 10, 2017 – Shelved
October 10, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 25, 2018 – Started Reading
April 2, 2018 – Shelved as: romance
April 2, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)

message 1: by Hms (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hms Great review Jessica!

message 2: by Karla (new)

Karla Amazing review, chica! ♥️♥️

Jenny••Steamy Reads Blog•• Sweet review, darling! xo

message 4: by Nazanin (new)

Nazanin Terrific review, babe! 💛

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Hms wrote: "Great review Jessica!"

Thank you, babe!! ❤❤

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Karla wrote: "Amazing review, chica! ♥️♥️"

Thank you so much, Karla!! 💋💋

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Thank you, babe!! ❤💋

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Nazanin wrote: "Terrific review, babe! 💛"

Thank you, love! ❤💋

message 9: by Diana (new)

Diana Stunning review, luv!!

KAT ♕ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books ♕ Fab review Jessi xox

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Diana wrote: "Stunning review, luv!!"

Thank you very much, Diana!! 💋💋

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ KAT ⚛ Kitty Kat's Crazy About Books ⚛ wrote: "Fab review Jessi xox"

Thank you so much, Kat!! 💋💋

Gina *loves sunshine* Just finished this one...soooooo good!!!!

Nancy❤The❤Bookaholic BEAUTIFUL review Jessica! I love Kendall Ryan's writing. She makes me fall in love with a new book boyfriend every time.

message 15: by Liz (new) - added it

Liz Excellent review! ❤️

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Gina *loves sunshine* wrote: "Just finished this one...soooooo good!!!!"

It is right?! Ahh! 😍😍😍

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Elizabeth wrote: "Excellent review! ❤️"

Thank you, Elizabeth!! ❤❤

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Nancy❤The❤Bookaholic wrote: "BEAUTIFUL review Jessica! I love Kendall Ryan's writing. She makes me fall in love with a new book boyfriend every time."

Thank you so much, Nancy!! 💋💋 I agree about her writing. She is one of the most amazing writers that I've ever had the pleasure of reading. ❤

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Fantastic review Jessica!!! xoxo

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Maddie wrote: "Fabulous review, babes 💋"

Thank you so much, babe!! 💋💋

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" wrote: "Fantastic review Jessica!!! xoxo"

Thanks so much, Sophie!! ❤❤

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» BEAUTIFUL review, babes! I haven't read Grip yet, but I love the emotional reads so I'll be reading Kennedy Ryan's work very soon. Happy you loved this one! :) xoxo

Michelle Excellent review babe ❤❤❤

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» wrote: "BEAUTIFUL review, babes! I haven't read Grip yet, but I love the emotional reads so I'll be reading Kennedy Ryan's work very soon. Happy you loved this one! :) xoxo"

The Grip series is incredible! 😍 Thank you, Maida! ❤

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Michelle wrote: "Excellent review babe ❤❤❤"

Thank you, babe! ❤❤❤

message 26: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Triad Great review Jessica ❤💋

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Sophia wrote: "Great review Jessica ❤💋"

Thank you, Sophia!! ❤💋

message 28: by Cleoblacktra (new) - added it

Cleoblacktra Fantastic review!

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Cleoblacktra wrote: "Fantastic review!"

Thank you so much, babe!! 💋💋

Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ I enjoyed this one too! Wonderful review as always, Jessica <3 x

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Alex ✰ Comets and Comments ✰ wrote: "I enjoyed this one too! Wonderful review as always, Jessica <3 x"

Aww, thank you, Alex!! 💋💋 So glad you liked it, too! ❤

message 32: by Steffi (new)

Steffi De Ceuster  ♥ Lovely review, sweetie! xoxo Glad you enjoyed!

message 33: by Kat (new) - added it

Kat Valentine Excellent review babe!!💖😉

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Steffi wrote: "Lovely review, sweetie! xoxo Glad you enjoyed!"

Thank you, Steffi!! ❤❤

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Kat wrote: "Excellent review babe!!💖😉"

Thank you, Kat!! ❤💋