Jennifer's Reviews > The Final Six

The Final Six by Alexandra Monir

liked it
bookshelves: edelweiss, coyer-winter-challenge-2018

3.5/5 stars

The Final Six is a Young Adult Science Fiction novel. There is a sequel planned.

The story is set in the future (the date is not specified). The basic premise is that the earth is in dire shape with floods and earthquakes. Twenty-four teens are being drafted to the International Space Training Camp. These teens will be competing to become one of six teens sent on a mission to Europa (Jupiter’s moon).

The narrators are teenagers Naomi and Leo (1st person POVs). Leo is from Italy and is an incredible swimmer. Naomi is from California and she is a science genius.

I really liked Naomi. She was a fantastic character. She was super close to her family. And I really liked how much she missed them. I also liked that she was kind and not out to sabotage other people.

I did like the competition. Although it sort of reminded me of another book, Dare Mighty Things by Heather Kaczynski.

Was there romance? Yes. It didn't overshadow the story IMO. But there was definitely a romance.

There were some unexpected twists at the end of the story that impressed me. I really was not expecting the book to end that way. I was a bit disappointed with how much of the story took place on earth vs outer space. (view spoiler)

Overall, this was an interesting YA science fiction novel. I think that the ending was strong and the book left off in a very interesting place. I am interested to see what happens next in the sequel.

Thanks to edelweiss and HarperTeen for allowing me to read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Final Six.

October 10, 2017 – Shelved
October 10, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
October 10, 2017 – Shelved as: edelweiss
March 1, 2018 –
March 2, 2018 – Started Reading
March 2, 2018 –
March 3, 2018 – Finished Reading
March 4, 2018 – Shelved as: coyer-winter-challenge-2018

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Lori (Ficwishes) I've been waiting to see your thoughts on this one.

Jennifer Lori (Ficwishes) wrote: "I've been waiting to see your thoughts on this one."

It's my next read. So I should be finished in 2 days.