Bec's Reviews > Can't Walk Away

Can't Walk Away by Sandy James

bookshelves: book-magic-reviews, netgalley
Read 2 times. Last read October 10, 2017.

Brad 'Hitman' Maxwell was once a brilliant songwriter, but he gave it all up when he discovered his late wife's betrayal. Now he owns a successful bar and loves how pouring beers helps distract him from what happened in the past. However, the moment Savannah Wolf steps onto the stage and sings, Brad finds himself pulled back into the world he left behind, especially since Savannah inspires him to write songs again. Yet, when the past begins to rear its ugly head and Savannah finds herself a target, will Brad be able to help her fight fire with fire or will they lose everything they've worked so hard for?

What a fascinating and delightful read Ms. James has penned for this first book of her Nashville Dreams series where the main characters had me enthralled from the very beginning, because Savannah is an absolute mystery to Brad, even though he should know who she is. However, it was from the moment where the hero and heroine came face-to-face for the first time that had me enjoying the way this couple's relationship started, because it's palpable Savannah makes an excellent muse for Brad when it comes to creating music again; something he never thought he'd do again.

As for the dialogue, it was intense due to the main characters back stories, what happens to the heroine that has her making erroneous decisions, which could put her and her daughter's future in jeopardy. Will Brad be able to help her make the right decisions and fight for their future together? However, the dialogue isn't all intense. There are some light-hearted moments that had me enjoying this couple's growing relationship and the tight friendship Brad shares with secondary characters, Russ and Ethan. Furthermore, the heroine is strong, brave and I liked how determined she was to succeed when it came to her dreams for her future. I also liked how good of a mom Savannah is and that she would do anything for her daughter, even if it means making decisions that could get her in trouble. Yet, what I liked most of all about the heroine is how she gave Brad a chance, even knowing his reputation with women.

While the hero, he's confident, hard-working and I liked how determined he was to win the heroine over because she's special and unlike any woman he's ever known. I also liked how protective he was of the heroine when it came to everything she goes through from handling the media to dealing with her ex. Not that it's easy for the hero to handle the media when they make him out to be the bad guy. Is his association with the heroine doing more damage to Savannah's reputation or his? Yet, what I liked most of all about the hero was his growing bond with the heroine's daughter.

Overall, Ms. James has delivered a really good read in this book where the chemistry between this couple was intense; the romance hot; and the ending had me totally captivated because of what the heroine does to make certain her future is secure. No longer is she going to let what her ex did in the past rule her and it's about time she fights back. Her demands were fantastic. I would recommend Can't Walk Away from Sandy James, if you enjoy the opposites attract trope or books by authors Erin Nicholas, Serenity Woods, Kelly Jamieson and Ann B. Harrison.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can't Walk Away.

Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
Started Reading
October 10, 2017 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
October 10, 2017 – Shelved